Virginian’s Grow Journal What did I do? LOL

Looks great my friend.

1 Like

Don’t you just love fall, and the changing of the leaves? (hehehe :laughing:)

A couple Fem5 ladies’ buds

Remaining Olsen twin

Nancy

8 Likes

Is it pretty? Heck no, it’s uglier than sin. Keeping my ladies dry though. Not today moisture/ bud rot, not today…

3 Likes

what that ^^ DID do, is strengthen my resolve to fab a “greenhouse”… i’ve been mulling around concept of implementing the full glass storm doors i’ve accumulated, doing installs for the big blue home improvement store over the past 2 years. May even frame to use them (hinge facing towards peak) on the ROOF of it, to be able to prop open for ventilation. Maybe just the top “row” on each side of the A from the peak and then the clear fiberglass panels from there below. Side walls are easy peasy, just open some doors, or the screens on them :wink: .

3 Likes

:notes:oh I love those hills of Ol’Virginia :notes:
:notes: From those Blue Ridge hills I did roam​:notes:
:notes:When I die won’t you carry me o’er the mountain :notes:
:notes:Far away in my Blue Ridge mountain home :notes:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Just harvested one of the Fem5 ladies, the one i bumped the fence enclosure with the mower and snapped an entire bud stalk off and made a clone of. She’s in bud wash now. I’m trying something different. A couple buds had just SLIGHT bud rot, deep inside… I’m giving them a 15min soak in the peroxide wash, then thrashed them around like “normal” and i just put them in the lemon juice/baking soda wash for a 15min soak before thrashing and hanging to dry. Peroxide DOES start working immediately as we all know after pouring it on a wound but it does take a few minutes usually to “bubble out” the bad stuff in any application. Don’t know if this is right/good thing to do or not but that’s my train of thought behind it. 15min soak of each before their thrashing in the wash.

I’m going to pose another question. @Oldguy @oldmarine @MattyBear @Hellraiser @Myfriendis410 @BobbyDigital @dbrn32 @kaptain3d @CoyoteCody @Newt

So vinegar is a natural mold killer and cleaner, and vinegar and baking soda “react” and make a fizzing cleaning solution. WOULD it be bad to do a peroxide wash, then a VINEGAR and baking soda wash, then a lemon juice wash and then plain water??? anyone ever heard of that or thought of trying it???

1 Like

No idea if vinegar would help, but just based on the smell. I wouldn’t want my buds to have any chance of keeping that smell.

7 Likes

@JaneQP @Caligurl @MadamCalamity @AfgVet @CalamityJane …hmmmm, gimme some others of the ladies here. I KNOW y’all know that cleaning secret as it was the lovely ladies in MY life that taught me that :wink: :heart: i pose that question to y’all as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i hear you and i’m not sure they would :wink: but that’s ALSO why i STILL included a lemon juice rinse, then plain water rinse afterwards :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t wash in vinegar. It will not end well…

10 Likes

now THAT’s what i wanted/needed to see/hear. Thanks @oldmarine . I wasn’t sure if anyone else had thought of or tried that and figured i’d pose the question since it arose in my thought process.

also wasn’t sure if maybe the “reaction” would be too “abrasive” on the trichs with the baking soda/vinegar idea.

1 Like

I’m with @oldmarine on this vinegar thing…
And please, don’t attempt to save buds that have rot… You only risk being sick yourself…

From a Google search:

How do I save my plant from bud rot?

Image result for can you save bud rot with a wash

“If you’re trying to save what you can, at the first sign of bud rot, remove infected buds carefully and don’t expose them to any other plants,” Watson said. “ Wear gloves to remove and discard infected buds and place them in a sealed container so spores don’t spread throughout your grow room.Sep. 30, 2021

7 Likes

yeah if they were ANYthing like that pic^^ i’d not even waste the water/elements to wash them :wink: I had some “popcorn buds” down low on some that had turned brown and PURPLE of all things and i cut them off completely and burned them in the brush pile in the field with everything i burned (1/4mi away)

2 Likes

Yup… they’ve got you covered. REMOVE all the affected bud AND some healthy bud around it to make sure you got it! Yes, wear gloves and be very careful. If possible, move the plant to a distant location from other plants. I would spray gently with water around the bud rot to help mitigate the spores from flying off the plant.

I’m paranoid as well, so I would dispose of the rotted bud, throw away the gloves, go change my clothes and wash up before i went anywhere near the other plants.

If you want to use baking soda, add lemon to it and don’t use vinegar. If you want peroxide, use it alone. I did both on my last outdoor grow because of aphids.

4 Likes

Late to the party :laughing: looks like they hot you covered!

3 Likes

I got nothing, sorry

3 Likes

@Caligurl thanks :slight_smile: I did it that way this time (again like the GSC one couple weeks ago). Peroxide wash, then lemon juice/baking soda, then plain water. Only difference i did in procedure was 15min soak in each before thrashing them around. My whole downstairs when you walk in smells like my back yard does. But only ONE plant hanging in here :smiley: the others still growing out back kick off the stank in a big way too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just harvested another of the Fem5 gals. I’ve got one more shorty of those which still has some white pistils on it and then the two tall spindly ones who also do. Nancy Kerrigan (also a blue dream) COULD probably go today…but i wanted to let these ride til first frost and she’s NOT showing any rot or “worries” so i may just let her ride “another couple weeks” :wink: :slight_smile: Getting ready to take the other Olsen Twin GSC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d skip the vinegar, the rest would be fine.

4 Likes