Virginian’s Grow Journal What did I do? LOL

Ok, so TOTAL noob to growing beans, and indoors at that. Started them after germinating them on wet paper towel, on May 1st. 15 af blue dream are taking off pretty good, but i had 5 lemon haze, all which germinated but are STRUGGLING in a major way compared to the BDs. My water, out of the tap is 6.4pH which is supposedly about right down the middle of the range for soil. I DID use GH’s brand of flora-micro and flora-bloom at 1/4 ratio of what they called for for seedlings. Ok, now that that is all out of the way…
Two of the 5 lemon haze were healthy lil stalks with cotyledons and then kept going “ostrich” on me??? They would literally pop up straight and strong and then check in evening and they were leaned over burying their heads again, lol. BOTH of those two did that several times over the first week and then wilted and died :confused:
Might add that although i think the BDs are thriving and healthy (in appearance at least), i wonder if the nutes didn’t “stunt” EVERYTHING because even those, at 21days since put in dirt, are like 5-7" tall and only just growing 3rd and 4th nodes… I’ve not given ANY nutes the past week and ONLY straight water (and they’re outside now). All of them are in 3gal-5gal containers except the smallest are in 1gal containers after transfer from solo cups when i moved them outdoors last weekend.
I think the nutes even at 1/4strength were too strong for that strain but i’m not even close to a novice, let alone an expert so this is why i’m here :slight_smile: Any help, suggestions is strongly welcomed and appreciated.

3 Likes

I said flora-micro and flora-bloom but i MEANT flora-grow. the bloom obviously isn’t until for a later time :wink:

What you describe is inadequate light, the seedlings are stretching and falling over. Increase light intensity.

8 Likes

I’m new to most of this but other than using jacks 321 don’t most wait til some sets of true leaves or the cotes start becoming diminished before starting any nutes.

3 Likes

Yes sir, i believe that was the original issue with those puny lemon haze ones. I had purchased a MARS hydro LED light but it was actually only 105W TRUE draw from the outlet and they were getting tall and skinny/weak stretching. I sent that light back last week and moved EVERYTHING outside and the BDs took off strong but the Lemon Haze 3 remaining are still tiny lil things with very thin stalks (like 1 1/2" tall total). One of those 3 actually, is about 2 1/2 inches tall and “thriving” compared to the other two still living.

Allinherhead, I believe i DID mistake what i was reading about that with the leaves. I saw “real leaves” forming (not the two cotyledons) and started applying it when they were like inch tall seedlings but at 1/4rate of what they called for with seedlings on the bottle. Using syringes to accurately draw the nutes out of bottles and into the gallon jug to mix with water.

As i said above, i have STOPPED nutes altogether for this whole week and maybe next. Almost hate to do that because the BDs are so lush green but i feel like they’re that short (tallest is like 6 or 7inches) because the nutes stunted them. I don’t know, i am TOTALLY new to doing this and trying to learn and do it right the first time if i haven’t already ruined that notion. I know AFs run a lot shorter than “regular strain” of same so maybe they’re shorties because of that?

And thank you both for responding. I APPRECIATE the knowledge base here and is the reason i sought it under recommendation from a much more experienced friend :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Forgive my presumptuous nature saying “Sir” as i don’t know if you are a sir or a madam :slight_smile: Thank you just the same for your kind reply

4 Likes

I’m totally new and very little knowledge of the biology but ill sometimes offer my humble opinion hoping that if I’m wrong someone here will kindly reprove me and we all learn from it. I’m grateful to you and everyone else that shares here and appreciate the privilege of being able to participate in some small way.

6 Likes

From my experience here, “wokeness” and politics are discouraged. A free exchange of ideas reign supreme and much leeway is given to “identity”. Speak freely my friend.
@Allinherhead has spoken truth and @Myfriendis410 is a trusted advisor.
You will like all of us gain knowledge from your mistakes and apply that toward future grows.
Take advantage of the free resources here and read some grow journals, ask many questions and please post pics…we LOVE pics. :revolving_hearts:

11 Likes

Good call on the stopping nutes. U dont wanna fry the little ladies.

Sorry to hear about ur troubles starting the SLH… seems like a great strain too. Good luck with the remainders. And u do have 15 BDs tho right! They should keep u more then occupied.

Also smooth move going on outside. No lights can compete with the sun… and she’s free right? Cant beat that.

4 Likes

Didn’t include pics because they’re such puny babies compared to what y’all are posting lol. You can see the two tiny lemon Haze ones struggling and the one of them that’s doing much better. That teensy one, is an unknown strain and my favorite cause it’s so little and cute lol. As you can see, the BD AFs are way taller and all these were put in soil the same day with taproot on 01 May. Also, side note, VERY weird, had to send myself the pics from phone to PC to upload. Kept failing from sending via phone/forum…

the teensy one, my fav :slight_smile:

The “thriving” one of the 3 lemon haze

the BDs

the puniest of the lemon haze, and almost looks like basil, lol. not sure what’s up with those leaves…

2nd largest lemon haze, but still puny/struggling like 1st one

a BD up close, the smallest of them and still a giant in comparison to LH

7 Likes

Those leaves though, on the BD…WIDE, fat suckers!!! when they first form they’re as wide/and shaped like a thumb :slight_smile:

4 Likes

May I be so presumptuous as to make a suggestion? :flushed:
My experiences so far have shown a remarkable benefit to placing a clear dome over the seedlings.
Cover completely and as long as there is condensate on the inside of the dome, you are golden. They will thrive in the high humidity and not need direct water until they are really rooted in. If it starts drying on the inside, just spray a mist on the inner surface of the dome and replace. When they outgrow it, provided it’s a “decent sized” cover, they are stronger. Oh, and start with a well moistened pot of soil when covering.

5 Likes

I love the fat, shortie looking leaves too. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Ooo yeeaaahhhh in my Kool Aid man voice

Ur gonna have ur hands full. U normally dont beed domes outside. Where are you located?

1 Like

Domes not a bad idea in either case. :wink:

2 Likes

I will certainly try that. I have more germinating and will start them out a little hardier hopefully by doing that next time. Thanks for the input and yeah, those fat leaves are something to watch grow :slight_smile: Not that i don’t like the long skinny “fingers” of a good Sat but Ind makes some big bold leaves :slight_smile: Next round is GSC (not E) and WedCake :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m fairly sure it was a nute burn/stunt on most of these. This week outdoors has REALLY turned them around. What was ALSO a light stretch problem has been healed by the sun too as what were puny, thin and weak looking (almost transparent in some lengths) stalks, have turned to THICK, woody stalks, at least 3 to 5 times thicker than they were when taken outdoors :slight_smile: Gonna leave them alone with nutes unless leaves tell me otherwise :wink: My water out the tap is 6.4pH and unless they TELL me they need something i need to stop overthinking :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@purpNgold, VA, mountains :slight_smile:

This is the rockstar of them all. Not sure what I did so “much more betterer” ( :slight_smile: ) than the rest, maybe just it’s genetics but she’s like SEE YA to the rest :slight_smile:
(upload://iRpq7wXIgS7YSr9SiZLIdPLbMVC.jpeg)

1 Like

Try to repost the picture. Let that percentage timer get to 100%

2 Likes

LOL , i did that. it won’t even let you hit “reply” til it’s done loading (greyed out til then). Not sure what it is about sending to this forum from my phone but i have to send to my pc then upload to here…odd. Here’s the rockstar, if it WILL actually load this time :smiley:

6 Likes

Nice looking seedling. May be begging for a lil’ more light. Leaves are reaching a bit.

2 Likes