VIRGINIA mold, damn rain!

With all the rain I’ve been getting my but kicked with mold. I even placed all my plants under an patio umbrella for this last weeklong on/off rain. Still mild in all of them.
Anyone else?

4 Likes

I feel for you guys that live in humid areas, I live in the desert and got some mold this year. The last time I had to deal with mold was like in the mid 90s

2 Likes

Hi, welcome to the community. Mold and WPM this year in NY too, lost a bunch. Had mine covered as well :person_shrugging:

Welcome jabrone, and yes it’s been a tough year, I’ve been pretty fortunate, I’ve been doing this outdoor thing for many years, and have learned a lot. I’ve only lost a small amount so far this year, but still not completely done with harvest yet, so keeping my fingers crossed it keeps going ok.

2 Likes

Just over 4oz lost to mold in Mass. They lived under a plastic canopy throughout flower. Just too much rain… too much humidity… not enough sun.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! I hate that for you . Anytime dealing with mold is a bummer.

4 Likes

I live in Virginia as well, enjoying our first year of legal pot.

I went with autoflowers, planted in the ground in my well-amended garden soil, just like growing a tomato. No extra nutes, other than a top dressing of compost every few weeks.

I planted in mid May, and was done by the first week of August, before the cooler, wetter weather set in. Got over a pound of dry bud, from four plants. I was just starting to see the first small dead sugar leaves indicative of rot when I harvested. Those two suspect buds went in the trash.

If I had waited two more weeks to plant, that would have put me close to September to harvest, and I probably would have been battling mold and rot big time.

I may try an experiment next summer, running two autos and two photos of the same strains and see what happens.

4 Likes

Hell of a year to grow in North East. Smallish plants mold, rain, cloudy days.
Harvested one yesterday some good some bad. Extra strong, extra long bud wash, you should have seen the crap in wash tub. Don’t wait to long it is not going to get any better.

Hey - Welcome to the forum!
Central Sauna…I mean Virginia, here!

Yup man - lost about 3oz of Granddaddy Purple between 2 plants…maybe a little more.
So far I’ve only found 2 spots on one of my two New York City Diesels, but the bigger one is about 8ft tall so there might be some lurking up near the top where it’s hard to inspect. I’ll find out soon enough though as I’m bringing them down in the next few days too.

I’m seriously considering buying or building a small, 4 plant greenhouse for next years grow. But even with protection from direct rain there’s still the stifling Virginia humidity. I might just go the auto route and try to start early and maybe get 2 4 plant harvest in before the late summer/early fall. I’ll just hold my photo seeds for the tent grows inside.
If I decide to do a photo outside it’ll definitely be a sativa. The NYD is sativa dominant hybrid and has considerably less mold - that I have seen so far at least.

Here’s one of my GDP colas!!

Cure baby cure!!! I wants to smoke you!! :joy: :rofl:

Happy Harvesting Everyone!!

3 Likes

The greenhouse with a dehumidifier works wonders for the mold and rot, my greenhouse is 26’x 8’ and I run 2 large dehumidifiers the beginning of week 4 of flower.

1 Like

I also am in The Commonwealth of Humidity. Studying the idea of growing early this year, made the expensive decision to keep it indoors. Even in an air-conditioned environment supplemented with a dehumidifier, I am considering washing the harvest because of the general environment. Sorry for your loss, that is a lot of effort to end up trashed.

4 Likes

Ive tossed probably what would have dried out to over 2lbs from eight plants in a 10x12 greenhouse because of mold and worms. Over a lb off just one plant. My other greenhouse had no problems with worms or mold.
I’m not in Virginia I’m in Arizona we had the worst/best monsoon season in years, depending or how you look at it. Next year I’m putting dehumidifiers in the 10x12 and removing some of the upper side panels for better airflow and putting up bug screens to keep the moths out.

4 Likes

In NOVA, Girl scout cookies did a little better resisting late season mold. I’m guessing because they are less dense / smaller. The biggest and densest buds on Gorilla Glue all got mold, immediately following October rain. I probably coukd have gained 4 oz of quality bud harvesting the main colas off the GG right before the rain. The smaller buds seem to fair better and could be let go. I’m definitely doing autos again next season, targeting the stronger sun of August for harvest.

2 Likes

City of Richmond here. Yes I had to pull a White Widow because it was eat up with mold. And I had to harvest prematurely one Granddaddy Purple before it was a lost cause. And my remaining GDP started getting some powdery mildew on the leaves but a vinegar-dilution spray seems to have arrested that. I did put the plant on my screened porch a few weeks ago, with the ceiling fan always on. Even then I have had to snip out rotted areas here and there but for the most part it seems OK. Can’t wait til the trichomes start turning cloudy

1 Like

, :100: on that

4 Likes