Viparspectra V450

I’m finishing my first grow using a Viparspectra V450 and have some questions for growers experienced with this light. A lot of people seem to use it and rave about it but I’m not impressed to be honest. The coverage seems to drastically drop once plants are moved away from directly under the light. The manual states 2.5ft x 2.5ft at 24” but it seems closer to 1ft x 1ft to me, any growth outside of that doesn’t seem to get much light at all. I also slowly moved the light closer to my plants stopping at 18” and they seemed to enjoy it until the tops got completely burnt with little warning. Anyone have suggestions on the optimal height for flowering and what type of coverage is normal? I’m thinking 3-4 autos directly under the light being rotated daily is about it.

1 Like

Your concern is a common one among those that own any of the Amazon burples. The V450 is actually only a 200 watt light and is really only sufficient for one plant. They get good reviews because (I assume) a lot of the reviews are fake or are written by folks who really don’t have any growing experience and don’t know that there are far better options out there. I wrote a bad review on the one I bought and they emailed me and offered me money to take my review down. The specifications they put up are misleading at best.

3 Likes

I use 2 of these and another smaller light in my 3x3 tent (usually grow 4 autos) and get nice, dense buds. 1 is definately not enough. I try to keep about 12 inches between the light and top of canopy, but before the grow is over I usually have about 2 inches between, and have never had burnt or crispy tops (I have had that when they hit the light, but not before)…

1 Like

I have grown a couple monsters under a Viparspectra PAR600 light. On this one, I had all three switches on from start to finish. The one you have is probably a 2 switch version. They do make a decent light but when compared to a HLG 260xl rspec. One is a Ford Fiesta aka the Vipar and you are racing a F-22 Raptor aka the HLG light.

I’m glad I retired my Vipars and switched to HLG. I went from having 3.32 oz to getting over 27 oz. Its worth switching. :+1:

2 Likes

I have to agree, only I didn’t go with the Amazon reviews because I don’t trust them either, I actually went with what other growers are posting on forums but then who knows what experience they have. If they’re comparing this light to other LED’s then it may kick butt. However compared to a 400w HPS it’s night and day.

Yea it’s definitely not what I expected, then again I’ve always used HPS. This light seems ok for a few auto flowers but definitely wouldn’t try to grow a real harvest under it.

Someone wrote a response to my review and tried to tell me that I didn’t know what I was talking about and that the 1200W light was better than a 600W HPS. He was clueless. The 1200W was really only 250 watts and due to the spectrum and wattage I doubt it would even compete with a 300W HPS. If he’s figured out how to flower more than one plant with only 250 watts then he has figured out how to defy the laws of physics. I think the burple makers should be out of business for misleading people.

1 Like

@MidwestGuy This was grown under a blurple light. 19.5” cola.

2 Likes

I have a old SunSystems combo light that has 2 150w HPS bulbs (one on each end) and 4 T5’s for a total of 516w and I’m sure it’ll blow this thing away. I’ll be dusting it off and using it for the auto’s I ordered

I’ve been doing my research and holy $h!t…you can either buy a cheap HPS and deal with the heat to grow good bud or spend big bucks on a high end LED which eliminates the heat. It’s going to be hard to dethrone HPS lights in my opinion.

That’s definitely a big ol bud! The old school Metallica shirt is pretty awesome!

Have to love Amazon. I bought the Viparspectra in early March, used it for one disappointing grow and I just printed a return label for a full refund :+1:t2:

1 Like

I just retired 2 Par600s this morning.

With a 300v2. I guess the saying pay now or pay later… With 4 Par600s it was pulling something like 800watts out the wall. Now with 2 300V2. Pull 600. With better coverage and a tad less heat and lower power bills… Win Win.

3 Likes

The HLG’s blow any Viparspectra out of the water. You have seen what the 260xl rspecs are like under my control. Welcome to the club. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Yea mine is in route back to Amazon. Don’t get me wrong, the V450 would be a good light for someone starting out who doesn’t really know what a really good light can do. Now for someone who’s been growing under HPS lights over 15yrs, that light doesn’t cut it. Especially when a 400w HPS with ballast is cheaper and could produce SO much better. I don’t grow for yield, I’m more concerned with quality and the quality wasn’t quite there either.

I actually ordered a 300 V2 this morning. After research it was between that and a hlg320 Rspec and I found a video online that showed a side by side comparison between the 300 V2 and the bigger version Rspec (I’m thinking it was a 550 but could be wrong) decided to go with the Electric Sky

1 Like

I’m not trying to oversell anything but these folks have great customer service! That was a great selling point. As with all grows with the exception of, always side on less water. Nothing is standard. What works for me, might not work for U… Bottom line… U either pay upfront, or later with crappy product. And thats just an outright Party Foul. Friends dont let friends smoke bunk!!!

1 Like

A little info ive noticed. When you change out lights with the 300v2. Keep the light between 26" 30" above canopy @ about 75% power. Observe after 24hrs. Adjust accordingly. Hope that helps some… Thats just what ive noticed here with my grow!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I read that in a few articles, they all say to start way high then come down slowly. I watched a video of a guy who did a weekly update of his grow using the 300V2 from sprout to harvest and he started them at 36” at 50%. He slowly increased to 100% then came down. By the end of his grow his bigger plants hand grown into the light but it didn’t burn them.

I’m pumped! I have one of my clones and 2 Dos Si Dos vegged out at 7wks. I was about to put them under 600w HPS but now I’m going to wait until this baby comes in :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the ES300. The light was on back order so I just received it Thursday evening. Just today I turned it up to 80% at 40” above the canopy. In only 4 full days under this light my plants have grown over 6”!!! I’m going to start lowering it tomorrow morning and I’ll be flipping to 12/12 on Saturday. Pretty excited to see how the buds come out with this light. Thanks again, I ever even heard of it until you mentioned it but then I’m a diehard HPS grower converting over

2 Likes