Very old seeds. Will they pop?

I understand there has been a ton of topics on this. My friend has seeds dating from 1970 until present. He has them dated in jars with playboy magazines in his cellar. Sorry if that is not appropriate.
How long are they viable for approximately?
Nice cellar. Stays constant.

2 Likes

I would love to have some of those. Wish I kept mine.
You wont know till he tries to germinate. If they were stored in a way they would not completely dry out a few may pop.
I remember my percentage on Male to Female was like 80/20 with 80% being male.
That is from the 70s I was referring to.
Using the paper towel method give them up to two weeks to germ.
Get him to join the forum if they do pop.

2 Likes

You may have struck cannabis gold. Many of the phenotypes from the 70s are no longer around. You’ll have to plant them and find out. I would love to get my hands on what we used to call “redbud.”

4 Likes

What would in all seriousness be a year to start out if I may ask? There is a ton of them. I’m geeked, storage cold and dark.

I would give anything to get that again. I loved that stuff.
The smell, the look and the high was perfect.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the question.

So he has them sorted by year? How many seeds does he have?
Might contact a professional breeder and see if he could work a deal.
If it was me I would send Jim Belushi a message through Twitter and tell him about it.
Get on TV.
I bet there is a value.

1 Like

Was trying to figure out if they are older than 20 if you can crack them.

I’m not sure that very many folks have tried seeds so old before. The best you can do is try. Go for it and show us by setting the precedent. Get your friend on here. A lot of us would like to see the progress.

4 Likes

One way to find out, toss em in a glass of water a few may pop.

I have some seeds from 1986 skunk#1 stored in a mason jar in a dark cabinet, about one out of twenty five will pop but those that do grow just fine.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I will try to pop a few when I get back over there. He does not have internet or a cell phone.

1 Like

@MidwestGuy Growing up in Maryland Red Haired bud was BANGING!! I to would kill for a little flashback lol!!

2 Likes

@Ynotfish Drop those babies in and let’s find out!! Make a Grow Journal so we can all follow your journey!!

3 Likes

Will do. Be a few weeks or so.

3 Likes

Had zero luck with 25 year olds, Some of those have grown forever. We are going to try the 20 year olds.

1 Like

@Ynotfish Good luck!! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Was not able to crack them with sandpaper in matchbox.
Trying to get a thread on it.
These are 15 years old.

1 Like

@Ynotfish :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Going to soak these 5. See what happens. More to try but go down in years.

1 Like