Very odd looking white widow autoflower, wondering if anyone has ever seen this

First, I am a old timer grower, more than a couple decades now. started growing white widow about 5 years ago cuz we like the buzz. the old man wanted to try autoflower, since we live in the north east and get alot of rain towards fall. we grow outdoors, in 5 gallon nursery pots so that we can haul them in at night. the first picture is a comparison, the plants in the foreground being autoflower, the ones near the burning barrel regular ww. they were planted 3 weeks apart, auto first for an early harvest, with the close ups showing the odd flowers and ev en more bizarre leaves. the others which are twice the size of the autos, and haven’t even begun to flower yet are normal. i do not have a macro lens, sorry. you can see the flowers are clusters of lumpy bumpy with one hair sticking out of the ends. i have started cutting lower buds off since the one hair is amber and the buds nice and sticky. but notice the leaves on the plants too. one lance shaped leaf throughout the plant has replaced the classic 5 lance leaves. does anyone see this as a problem? we use organic nutrients, i check regularly for ph and adjust if needed, we use rainwater. they all get the same treatment, but a few of them look very strange to me. i like the old fashioned regular ww better, since it’s behaving normally and will yield up to a couple pounds off 4 plants, as opposed to the autoflower which remain a mystery as to yield, but at least we’ll have it sooner.

2 Likes

I have been seeing examples of that lately. It looks like re-veg but then again not. Autos have more potential for varied and dormant genes due to the ruderalis ancestry. That adds a whole another lineage to draw on. I have grown several WWA’s but never seen it personally.
I have one now that is finishing. It self topped(made 2 tops) but didn’t branch out or stretch much. It is basically 2 large colas and a couple side buds. Hard to see in this fuzzy pic but it is foxtailing pretty heavily too.

2 Likes

Hi HMGRWN,
I thought of that ancestry angle, and since I don’t know anything about that, I guess I’ll just go with “oh well”. The buds are not normal, but we shall see how they smoke, that’s the main thing! your plant looks pretty good, I think growing indoors is harder for the plant. Just an observation, alot of my friends are indoor growers out of necessity. Thanks for the reply. S.