24/0 for the first 10 days or until the plants are in veg. Watch your rock wool cube as the main tap root will poke out within a very few days: you want to treat that VERY gently as it really needs that root to develop properly. Just an FYI: that root can go places you don’t want before getting it into her forever home.
What you added to your R/O water should have no issues with your seedlings. You did fine although your rock wool cube is probably too wet lol. It just wants to be damp.
Great - that’s what i’ll do. I have a heat mat under the grow dome and am having a tough time keeping the temp low enough. The T5 doesn’t add too much heat but at least I can dink around with it tonight and get it regulated. FYI - I have one of these for my BBQ grill but it is awesome for the grow dome. I put one probe in a RW cube for soil temp and the other just in the air kinda inside. Wireless temp probes that i can monitor from anywhere in the house. https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01GE77QT0
First issue, All 6 have sprouted out of the Rock Wool nicely. However one OG has the seed shell stuck on the top. I cant even see the leaves but it is 2 inches tall. I’d like to remove it but am afraid of decapitating the little girl. Leave it or risk injuring it?
I’ve had this happen once and I waited it out and the plant made it. I do think there is a risk though. I’ve seen some people recommend carefully removing it, but there’s a chance to damage the plant. In the end I guess there are risks both ways.
Here are some pics of the girls. The one wearing the helmet is my concern. I have wetted down the shell and will give it some time to shed the thing. Thanks to @Myfriendis410 for the heads up on the tap roots poking through quickly. Four of 6 have TR’s coming out the bottom of the RW so I transplanted into Happy Frog potting soil.
Interestingly, the “helmet head” SD has the huge tap root in the pic (biggest of all plants)! I didn’t really want to transplant them so soon but thought I had better. Probably won’t use RW for sprouting from seed again.
@dbrn32 hoping I can get some quick lighting advice. I’m deciding between these two LED’s
320W XL QB V2 LED KIT from HLG (3 288v2 boards w a Meanwell 320 driver
Considering a 4x4x80 tent.
3 of these QB324 V2 QUANTUM BOARD SLATE 2 with similar driver (maybe Meanwell HLG-480H-C2100 LED Driver, 480W - I’ll build or buy the frame. Advice appreciated.
My plan is to mainly veg and intend to plant outside - may flower inside if things move along too fast. Newbie here and have enjoyed reading your posts on lighting. I don’t mind spending the money but want quality and I’m trying to avoid overkill.
I bought a 4 light 4’ t5ho over the weekend (because it’s all I could find locally on the weekend) as the girls are quickly outgrowing the little germination dome. I have four QB132v2 3500K boards coming as well and a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1750B driver. Going to DIY it into a 4 board end to end light.
I am rewiring a dedicated 20A circuit for the 4x4x80 grow tent that is also coming.
Current issue: The area I’m using in the basement is fairly cold. The area is not directly heated and it’s friggin cold here (-4F this am outside). I changed the lighting last night to 20/4 (from 24/0) for the first time and the “tent” got down to 60 degrees soil temp. I think that’s ok but let me know if I’m messing up with anything. I am researching ventilation, carbon filter, etc. Thanks all.
Oh, Helmet head is doing fine. I ended up carefully helping the seed capsule off. Half of one of the cotyledon leaves went with it but it appears to be doing fine.
Furnace is trying to take a dump so hopefully it hangs in there until the parts come in… Hate for these girls to freeze…
Trying to get my poop in a pile here. My plan with these current girls is to veg 3 for Mother plants and “try” to keep them vegging until spring planting time. I’m going to try a local organic “super soil” but am wondering if a 3 gal. pot will be large enough to hold these girls and not cause too many issues. @dbrn32@MattyBear@Sixpackdad and any others that I can’t think of… thanks for the help!
Ok - got the 4x4x8 tent set up. Put the grow dome back in with the t5ho light about the same height above the kids. Soil temp went up 5 degrees to 84 degrees. Raised the light and am waiting to see if the temp drops. Real question (s) are:
I want to remove the dome BUT RH in the tent is only 30 and temp is 66 (probably be higher for the plants as I have them on a heat mat).
Thought I had a humidifier but it has gone missing… Should I buy one to try to humidify the tent? Any other options?
What about the temp? My QB parts should be here by the weekend so maybe that light will produce enough heat? Again QB132 v2 x4. @MattyBear@dbrn32@PurpNGold74 and anyone else that has ideas for me.
I just raised the tray of the dome and inch above the mat so that should help with the temp but we’ll see. Not sure how I’m going to keep the tent in the 70’s. Space heater I guess. I have been looking at an exhaust fan w filter for the smell. May need it sooner to control temp and humidity.
I’d leave the dome on. Light will probably add a little heat, but not sure it will get you to point of ideal. If you’re going to buy a humidifier, buy one big enough to control the room your tent is in. That way your intake is air is good and you don’t end up going down same rabbit hole later. You can try hanging wet towel in tent, may bring rh up a little.
I don’t think I could buy a big enough one for the room… Long story. What about the InkBird Temp and Humidity Controler? I was just doing a search to see if anyone has had success using one. I have a lot of winter left so I don’t want this to be a PITA for the next several months.