Venting question/problem

Recently set up a small grow tent in my bedroom, the room is generally pretty cold and feels like it has some air flow to it (not like gale force, just small cracks in the old building). My original plan was just to have it venting into the same room. How essential is it to vent into a different room? If my potential room is quite airy could i get away with just opening the window a litte bit every so often?

Nobody really goes in our bedroom when they come round, i’m not hell-bent on making sure no friends/family find out because they know i smoke, but ideally i don’t want some shiny metal ducting hanging into the bathroom or hallway. Also having the ducting out the window is not a possibility.

Am i screwed?

I’m currently venting to the same room, but it heats up the room and I know it’s not the best option. I’ve been trying to come up with ideas myself, so I’m curious what the other people are doing…

my thinking is the rest of my house is cold… Like very cold, old building so it must have some kind of air flow to it. My thinking is if thats the case it should be ok as long as i give it an extra blast sometimes and maybe leave the window open a little bit when i’m actually in the house. We shall we what the experts think

1 Like

@MoneyPit @TheRabbi you can vent to the same room, or duct it to another room. Any method is acceptable, as long as your fan is circulating enough air through the tent. You may need to run an additional dehumidifier when in flower. If you have an air conditioner this also does the same thing. If you have a lot of excess moisture you could run both a dehumidifier and an A/C.
This does all depend on your region, some people have so much moisture they have get rid of it. Some have not enough. Hope this helps.
Humidity should 50% and above for veg and seedlings, 40% and LESS for flowering.

7 Likes

Great info, thanks a lot. I left my light and extractor fan on for a few hours (nothing else inside yet) and it was running at around 65F(18C) and roughly 54% humidity. As soon as i touch the heater the humidity drops like a lead balloon so i’ve ordered a small humidifier to go inside the tent.

In general my house has quite high levels of humidity, but cold temperature.

When you say 50% and above for V & S, how far above? I’m guessing theres a limit

Here’s a chart someone posted and is what I go by. I keep my humidity in the tent between 60-70% due my temps being mid 80’s. Find your plant stage (blue/green/yellow) then find your temp that your tent seems to maintain…then find where the best RH lands.

2 Likes

Saw this earlier and it confused me a wee bit, do i do this based on what stage they’re at, and look up recommended temperatures (based on stage)?

Also please forgive my noobiness but what is VPD?

I’m a noob too and have no idea what VPD is.

My plant is in the green stage (late veg) and my tent is at 85°… so I try to maintain my humidity at 60- 70%.

Upper numbers are inside the tent (85° 70%) and lower numbers (79° 64%) are the room that the tent is located in.

1 Like

@TheRabbi
Keep in mind that rh really is ‘relative’…to temperature. That is, if your temp goes up the rh goes down by definition…even though the amount of moisture in the air has not changed. ‘Dewpoint’ is a measure of the actual amount of moisture in the air independent of temperature (it is in fact given AS a temperature at which the air would be saturated…and make dew). But we use rh. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok so as long as i’m watching my RH level and adjust accordingly when im messing with temps then I should be cool?

Next problem I have is getting the temperature bang on. I was foolish enough to not buy an adjustable heater (concentrated more on safety features, d’oh!) and the extraction fan that came with my tent kit isn’t either… So might have to make some more purchases. Will all be worth it in the end!

I use a tiny fan forced space heater with adjustable intensity and temperature. It has a trip button on bottom to cut it off if it tips over. These are pretty standard, cheap, easy to find.

It is not on a timer, it usually turns on well after lights out and cycles on-off until well after lights on and then isn’t needed again until well after lights out. It just keeps the temp from dropping below 70 or so. I can run the exhaust as much as I want and that heater plus a humidifier keeps things tight. The outer room my tent is in is cool and fairly dry.

But once the girls get big they pump so much water from the pot to the air that it then changes the game.

Sorry for misunderstanding but if its not on a timer how is it switching on and off? Do you just switch it on once then it runs for as long as you need it, switches off automatically for safety, then you come back to it?

Thought i’d planned well but feel like at least one of my environment controllers needs to be adjustable.

I’m glad I stumbled on this!

VPD stands for Vapor-Pressure Deficit and it shows you the range of relative humidity to the temperature of your growing environment. This is what causes different rates of Transpiration, otherwise known as how fast water moves through your plant, which also carries the nutrients. If you’re VPD is too low, the water doesn’t move enough and the plant dies, if it’s too high, the water is moving so fast through the plant it will stress itself to death! On the chart, these are notes by the red zones, those are bad. Ideally you want to stay in the green zone, but being in the orange, or yellow depending on how a chart is setup, is okay too.

I prefer to base my own VPD off of Temperature instead of humidity and this is why.
Different genetics like different things, some like a lower temperature which is common to many strains based off of the purple family, and many strains that are native to the equator like higher temperatures. Granted, this is a generalization and you would have to research what temperatures your specific strain likes.

Another example of how to determine your VPD is if your humidity is too high and causing bud rot, you would want to set the humidity lower which would then cause you to have to adjust your temperature accordingly to the humidity value in your growing area.

I hope this helps you a little bit!

1 Like

Ok so with regards to the chart, research them temp needed for different stages of the plant, then refer to the chart to check which humidity level i would need for that temp? And the VPD numbers just provide information as to “why” you would use that RH with that Temp?

I’ve got to say, I bloody love this forum. Such a welcoming and helpful community! <3

1 Like

Pretty much!

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

The little space heater has 2 knobs. One knob is a 3-way switch for heating power (how hot it gets) and the other is a thermostat (turns it on/off). I just set the thermostat by trial and error so the tent doesn’t go below 70 or 68 or whatever.

I’m just now starting flower and don’t need any humidifier anymore. I will likely have to buy a dehumidifier soon, these girls are drinking more and more and they just pump that water right into the air (minus whatever they keep).

2 Likes

The reason I posted the rh info above is to prevent chasing your tail when dialing in your VPD. Get your temp right and then dial in your rh.

Everytime you adjust your temp you change your rh (because it is relative to temp by definition). But changing your rh (by adding/subtracting moisture) doesn’t change the temp. Hope that made sense.

2 Likes

You’ll be fine with running intake and exhaust in same room most cases provided the room is kept around room temperature.

It seems like it works out best to control the temp and rh of the room your intake air comes from.

2 Likes