Venting outside... options?

I would like to vent my room outside of my house, located right outside of the grow room is the B Vent for the water heater (furnace is HE so it is capped off), but I don’t believe that is a great idea. My other option would be to tie into the dryer exhaust…has anyone done this? Is this plausible? Or a big No No?

The room is in the basement.

1 Like

You could but you’d need a one way flap duct so the dryer exhaust isn’t super heating your tent.

4 Likes

If the heater vents big enough I would say that would be fine

1 Like

My grow is also basement area and I have a exhaust hook up to dryer vent using a Y in closest to the exit point to the outside. Also using the flap duct as @BobbyDigital Mentioned. You may be able to install a second dryer vent to the outside if it’s not too much trouble.

3 Likes

That’s what I use a second wall cap

2 Likes

Is this one way flap duct something I can purchase at a Lowes or HD? I will need to go from 6"-4", so a reducer is needed.

Does it matter that it will be like a 25-25 foot run of duct?

1 Like

You will need to find something else then. You don’t want to drop from 6” to 4”. Unless you’re running at low speed.

3 Likes

@dmykins yes you can purchase everything you need at the Big Box store. Keep your 25-foot exhaust run straight as possible. I chose to reduce from 6 to 4 inch I installed the reducer an Y closest to the exit point and also removed the louvers in the dryer vent. I have maximum negative pressure inside tent. As @BobbyDigital mentioned if you can stay 6 inch all the way out would be the best. I was looking at drilling through the double band on the subfloor plus a 8 inch log not a easy task. Good luck

1 Like

I have my tents in a spare bedroom with attic access. I installed ducting to vent the output into the attic. Attic humidity can be a concern when doing this, but I keep my humidity a bit low in my tent to mitigate the humidity.

1 Like

@kellydans

Typically I run my exhaust fan 24/7 on a setting of 1 or 2, have you run into any issues with it being reduced from 6-4"? My plan is to have the reducer at the end of the run 25’ run. So it will be 6" all the way to the y then drop it to 4". Unfortunately I do have a few corners to turn.

1 Like

@dmykins I also run my exhaust fan 24/7. The variable speed on exhaust fan set on medium. But to answer your question no I have not had any problems.

1 Like

@kellydans

Sweet. I will give it a shot and see how it goes. I wish I could just tie into my b vent. It’s literary 5 inches away lol

1 Like

The only issue with venting in the attic is if it snows where you grow you will be the only house without snow on the roof and that a dead giveaway.
I’d did that about 15 yrs ago and my house definitely stood out like a sore thumb in the winter. Lol

3 Likes

@Indicanna_Jones

There’s really no way for me to get it through to the attic. I actually have a room built in my basement.

1 Like

Yeah ! @Indicanna_Jones I definitely understand that there’s something fishy going on or you having the worst insulated house in the community.

1 Like