Ventilation system (don’t want to break the bank)

Hey! First time grower here! Looking to get suggestions for a ventilation system for my 2x4 gorilla shorty. Don’t want to break the bank, can anyone give me some suggestions :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

How important is hiding the smell and what kind of budget?

3 Likes

2x4x? Gotta figure the cubic feet of the space to give you proper advice.

1 Like

Ran is right, we need to know how tall the tent is in order to figure cfm. lxwxh

2 Likes

Not sure what break the bank means but this is what I’d recommend. Without the extension you have 40 cubic feet, with the extension 45 cubic feet. At a minimum this is what I’d recommend. You will need 4 inch ducting also. I like Black it seems to hold up better.

Spend a little extra on the fan you will be happy you did. This is a quite fan and moves a lot of air.

https://smile.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOUDLINE-T4-Thermostat/dp/B06ZXWN3BG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=174847OHQXYQ3&dchild=1&keywords=exhaust+fan+for+grow+tent&qid=1587837662&sprefix=Exhaust+fan%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySk9OTDczNUFJWkRWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzcxODE3QTJPSEI0WEIzRkU5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMzI0NTczMjdNMkZMSUk3OUNSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Or this one

https://smile.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOUDLINE-S4-Controller/dp/B07JB292JC/ref=sr_1_31?crid=174847OHQXYQ3&dchild=1&keywords=exhaust+fan+for+grow+tent&qid=1587837791&sprefix=Exhaust+fan%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-31

And this filter

https://smile.amazon.com/iPower-Scrubber-Australia-Reversible-Prefilter/dp/B00E582DV2/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2BXCVU7JOT5H0&dchild=1&keywords=4+inch+carbon+filter+kit&qid=1587837861&sprefix=4+inch+carbon%2Caps%2C620&sr=8-9

5 Likes

@LandShark @RandomlyRan @Bubblehead so the tent is the gorilla shorty it is 2x4x5 I can add in a 9inch extension. I found a good deal on the following ventilation set up, not sure if it’s too much since the cfm from fan is 390 but was hoping to be able to utilize if I upgraded tent. The person is selling 6’’ phresh silencer and durabreeze fan 390 cfm. For some reason being a new member only lets me post every 10 hours, driving me crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m not familiar with the brand but 390 CFM is plenty. Your cubic ft is 40 and you want at least 3x that so 390 is plenty. Idk how much that is but the 440 CFM Vivosun kit with variable speed fan, duct and filter are 149

@RandomlyRan wanted to get something that I can utilize if I went bigger, that’s why I went with the rapid led lights that can easily be added on to. Newbie concerns lol :joy::call_me_hand:t3:

Good thinking. I run the 440 in a 48"x48"x80" and it more than I need. How much does the seller want for the fan and filter you are looking at?

@RandomlyRan I picked them up already I paid 155 for the ventilation (he used it for one grow and is moving so looked to be in great shape) he also threw in 3 amnesia haze autos, humidifier, purifier and ph tester all the stuff would have been about 600 but he was super nice not sketchy and said if I have any issues to bring it back.

1 Like

@RandomlyRan

@RandomlyRan @Bubblehead @LandShark probably a stupid question but does ventilation need to be running during germination and veg stage? Or is it more during flowering and budding stage, just trying to get a better understanding and everything online is very mixed in answers

1 Like

You want a fresh exchange of air all the time. 3x per minute actually. I run mine on all the time.

1 Like

You are aware that the silencer you have is not a carbon filter, right? If odor control is an issue for you, you’ll still need a carbon filter.

1 Like

@LandShark now I’m all types of confused lol. It read as an activated carbon filter, what do you recommend I buy for it?

@LandShark can I use this or too cheap?

@LandShark good. I’ve had this one for 2-years and have had no problems.

https://smile.amazon.com/iPower-Scrubber-Australia-Reversible-Prefilter/dp/B008NYF8S4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=DK1JZ1GX8J5H&dchild=1&keywords=6+carbon+filter+for+grow+tent&qid=1587901243&sprefix=6”+carbon%2Caps%2C1060&sr=8-9

1 Like

@Bubblehead does it take care of the smell?

Absolutely or I would find a different filter. 2 years, 22-plants and countless hours running it is still going strong. When I need a new one this will be what I purchase.

2 Likes

I had terrible luck with Ipower. First one lasted several weeks then failed, finally got them to replace it under warranty. Then the replacement failed right out of the box. I’m currently running “G Hydro”. Unfortunately, you may play hit and miss with carbon filters.

1 Like