Ventilation Question for a 2' x 4' Grow Tent

I have a 2’ x 4’ x 5’ tent and a 2’ x 2’ x 5’ tent in basement. The ambient temperature is about 70*F. I have an inline 203 cfm fan that is pulling air from both tents and extracting it to an outside window. I recently installed a second 135w qb light in the larger grow tent, (two plants that are about two weeks short of flip). Since I’ve installed the new light, heat is an issue in the larger tent.

Do people run their fans all day long? Is this normal? I had been running it for 15 minutes every couple of hours. I’ve switched to running it 15 minutes every hour now, but it’s still not quite enough.

1 Like

I keep all my fans on 24/7. IF I didn’t have them on I would be worried about mold.

1 Like

I run mine 24/7 , just think how you would feel sitting in a car, in a parking lot, with the sun beating down on you, and you can only run your AC for 15 minutes of an hour. One thing I picked up on here was this advise. If you are comfortable, your plants are comfortable. So just keep that in mind when trying to create the perfect growing atmosphere.

4 Likes

Thanks @Pat2. Sounds like good advice. I’ll make this adjustment to my timer… and have it switch off for most of the dark hours, with a couple of 15 minute sessions on, to pull in fresh air. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks @Noctis420. I wasn’t sure that the inline fan was really designed to run 24/7, but I guess it can take it. Thanks. And I certainly don’t want to deal with mold either!!

1 Like

You’re welcome. I also grow in the basement and the humidity is usually on the higher side. The fans help a ton. Happy Growing!

1 Like

Fans take most of the current they use, as well as most of the wear on them, when they start up. Leaving them running 24/7, in theory, should lengthen the life. And since mine is in my bedroom, the constant hum is more conducive to sleep than starting and stopping.

1 Like

My inline fan has been running 24/7 since I bought it 7-9 months ago. It’s got a control on plug that let’s me control speed. With lights on I have it on high, with lights off, it’s on low. Also have a 6" fan in tent that runs constantly

2 Likes

I always heard that and wondered if it was true. Mine runs 24/7, and the bill goes up a couple of bucks. If it craps out on me after a couple years of happy growing, I will just have to get another.

2 Likes

The inline fans are mainly for smells and smells run 24/7 not 18/6
I have one fan running one 4x4 a 3x3 and a drying box with the fan running at .5 speed 24/7 “Cools and keeps the smell out”

2 Likes

Good points, @elheffe702, @HornHead, and @boardsbird. I’m actually away from home right now, but had my plant-sitter adjust the timer for the fan so that it runs all day, and a couple of times at night. Hopefully this will take care of the issue, and the girls will feel better! I appreciate the input, for sure.

3 Likes