Ventilation in new grow space

I’m still debating a 4x4 or 5x5 tent but was looking at ventilation. I know I need an exhaust fan and charcoal filter. Do I also need a similar sized fan to supply fresh air? My tent will be in an outdoor shed that is probably 12x12 and pretty well sealed. I’m also thinking I’ll have to punch 2 holes out of the wall for exhaust and intake?

1 Like

Passive for intake will do just fine. I run a 6” fan for that space.
I recommend a 4x4 as lighting options are easier and cheaper for that space. HLG will be the most affordable option for that space.

4 Likes

I just like to add 6 inch exhaust fan and filter will be fine for a 4x4 space @Covertgrower has got you covered. One hole to the outside should be fine for exhaust an pull your fresh air inside from your 12 x12 space.

3 Likes

I’ve got the hlg 600rspect otw ordered it on recommendation from @dbrn32 . When you say passive you’re saying to let the exhaust fan draw surrounding air in and I don’t need an intake fan. I just want to make sure I understand. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes that’s correct.
You’ll love the light.

3 Likes

You might want to think about winter and summer and the overall climate in your shed befor you go punching holes…

How cold does it get, how hot? How do you control the shed climate…

1 Like

Do you have A/C in the shed?
Heater?
I tried that method. You cannot, or maybe I cannot take ambient out side air with a high Rh
In southeast summer and lower it without some A/C. You can have a wind turbine as exhaust fan but if you are only bringing in outside RH air. The tent RH will only change slightly. Don’t know location. But before you go cutting holes in your shed like I did. I would try a test run.
Place your tent inside the house, bring in outside air and exhaust in back out and see what changes inside the tent

Edit side note
I had inside temp of over 90 with humidity of a jungle

1 Like

I don’t have either heat or ac. The shed is built like a small garage and vinyl sided. It stays pretty cool even in summer. It’s under some significant shade. I was thinking about our miserable humidity in the summer and was wondering about a dehumidifier.

1 Like

I have a small window ac available but no window to put it in.

1 Like

If it boils down to it just get a small portable ac unit u can use if all works out good enough whats anothe 4 7 inch hole in the shed lol. Goo luck welcpme and hope u get this figured out

1 Like

Cut an opening, frame it, exterior trim and some J-channel to clean up the siding where it butts into the opening. Voila. Lots of how tos on youtube.
PS oversize the opening in case to need a larger AC. Some insulation will more than likely help moderate temp swings. Plants, lights, dehumidifiers etc create heat and humidity.

2 Likes

Well I’m reconsidering my grow area. I think I may move a bunch of stuff out of my garage into the shed. Then I will have plenty of room in the garage for the tent. I have 3 windows and it’s insulated better. There’s also a window ac unit though I’ve never used it. That way I think will be easier to control temp and humidity year round.

2 Likes

sounds good…or at least better… garages can be a PITA for preying neigbours if open…

1 Like

I’ve got an old lady on one side who rarely comes out of her house. The couple on the other side are also older. My garage is detached and sits way back off the road.

So the 3 seed varieties I have coming are sour diesel ak47 and super skunk autos. Any opinions which would easier to start with. Plan on just growing one variety at a time.

I Havnt grown any of those strains yet but the garage sounds way better than the shed

1 Like

Another thing if you decide to use the garage space… you probably wouldn’t have to do it right away but it would be a lot easier to control your environment if you were to section off that part of the garage. That way you could run the window unit at a much lower rate to keep temp and RH down and if needed would be cheaper and easier to heat in the winter. It would also serve as an additional buffer to any prying eyes.
I just bought a 600r also. I used it for the final 2 weeks of flower on my GGA’s and can’t wait to get the new batch of GSCA’s under it. They’re about a week old now and will probably move them under it by the weekend. From what I can find about seedlings I’m going to start it about 28” above and dimmed down to around 80watts

1 Like

I was thinking about that too. Lumber is super expensive now. The wife is already flipping out on the amount of $ I’m spending lol.

2 Likes

Yeah, lumber is crazy!

1 Like