Ventilation for new grow room

My room is 8’ X 7’ X 9’ (~500 cu. ft.). Will use two 1000 W Equ LED lights.

How many CFM recommended for proper air turnover? Don’t know how temps will turn out, still building.
There is an existing 110 CFM fan in the room with 4" duct.

1 Like

Here’s one of my topic that will help you in your calculation

Hope that’s will helping you, do not hesitate to ask further questions :grinning:

~Al :v: :innocent:

1 Like

Thank you Niala for the great and detailed information. You have confirmed the path that I have laid out and hope to have the room ready when my ILGM seeds arrive in a couple of weeks or so. I will take photos as my project and grow progress.

I will also me keeping daily logs in an effort to determine what works and what doesn’t during my grows.
I certainly welcome any feedback that may assist in a successful harvest in a few months time.

2 Likes

Hey @merlin44, tag me when the times come if you wish on your grow journal , I will follow and give you some advise if needed…

And welcome to ILGM forum :grinning:,… You’ll also found plenty of very knowledgeable poeple here too who are willing to share their knowledge :wink::grinning: To tag poeple, if you don’t know how, just put an @ before the name of the members you wish to tag.

And you’re welcome :grinning:

~Al :v: :innocent:

P.s. Here’s a nice topic for a step by step build grow space

http://ilgmforum.com/t/building-a-bigger-grow-room/16755?u=niala

1 Like

Thank you @Niala , this is my first experience on any forum as well as growing. Much to learn, have been studying. Hoping to have a reasonable first harvest growing White Widow (Fem) and Gold Leaf (Fem).

1 Like

You see, they are great poeple here Merlin…

Growing has a constent curve learning attach to it and it’s really pleasant… And in bonus, it’s greatly rewarding when you taste the fruits of your labor :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :innocent:

We will help you gladly to achieved this goal if and/or when you will need it :grinning::wink:

1 Like

@Niala my 6" 440 cfm fan and charcoal filter along with Panda sheeting just arrived…will be busy finishing my room this weekend. Plumbing and electrical is complete. Seeds still a couple of weeks out. Using the time to study in beginners area for my first grow.

@Niala or anyone that has some thoughts, I have my system programmed to switch ON the ventilation at 77F and OFF at 72F (not sure yet if that is exactly correct). If the temp does not reach 77F during any given day, should I have the system switch on the ventilation for period of time just to get some fresh air into the room? The big lights are not running just yet (just starting seeds under small lights) so there are some unknowns as to just how much heat it will take to warm the room up.
@bob31 @Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Ozzymomma1 @Donaldj @Flyr @neckNflu @Rugar89

1 Like

I always ran my fan 24/7 As long as they are set to run that way even when the lights are off, that should work fine I would think!

What are ou using to sense the temps? Pic or amazon link?

BTW when they get into flowering, you will probably want to run it 24/7 or the smell will get out of the tent

2 Likes

@bob31 I am using a J-Type thermocouple connected to a thermocouple input module on the PLC that I have running my system. In addition to room temperature, I am sensing RH, soil moisture level (0 - 3 VDC input to PLC).

Is there a way you can watch how much the little lights heat the room before you bug out? It would be nice to know what they are doing while you’re away. Fresh air not only cools but helps prevent mold and other nasty’s from developing and it helps strengthen the stalks. Just be careful and don’t blow the little girls over with a big blast. I would circulate air though but that’s just me.

1 Like

@Flyr I will be monitoring the temp with the lights on in a day or two, when the remaining parts arrive. I do have a fan to run in the room to circulate the air. The small lights ( LED’s for starts and seeds) produce no appreciable heat. I don’t yet know how the big lights (two 345W LED panels) do temperature wise. The recirc fan will run continuously while the ventilation fan will only run when temperature get up to 77 F.

My room is in the basement which runs about 68 +/- 2 degrees outside of the grow room which is isolated from the main basement room. I hope this is somewhat clear. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Interesting topic @merlin44

@bob31 As far as the smell, I understand what you are saying. My grow room is actually an actual room which is lined and largely sealed with Panda plastic sheeting. I have the ventilation exhaust fan (6" 440 cfm) and a motorized louvre for makeup air when the fan is running. I will need to add running the fan continuously during flowering as you suggest. I did not think of that. Thanks for the thought.

1 Like

You might ought to see if you can rig the fan based on RH as well. But there’s plenty if time for all that!

1 Like

My tent temperature runs around 12deg hotter when the 400w LED is on.

1 Like

Yes @bob31 , I was thinking the same thing. In addition, planning to monitor humidity through first grow and will add a humidifier to the control system if needed. I don’t suspect I will need a humidifier but time (and observation will tell). I sure appreciate all of the great ideas, some I have thought of, some never occurred to me. I hope to get this right the first time - big ask!

To clarify, my hygrometer does not send a signal per se to the control system, just a contact that closes when the humidity gets below a certain set point and the control system responds to the contact opening and closing.

@Rugar89 , thanks that is good information to start with.

1 Like