Vegging under 24 hours of light?

Hey,

Has any 1 tried vegging under 24 hours of light or is there draw backs to this ? Or any benefits or downs from trying this?

Cannabis belongs to a class of plants that don’t need dark periods to complete all of their metabolic processes. The obvious exception to this is in triggering flowering, where a 12/12 schedule induces flowering hormones.

The benefit of 24/0 is faster growth, the downside is that your plants are not feeding the beneficial microbes in your soil (happens in dark period) and if problems come up, the plant has less of a support system to help get through it.

1 Like

I’ve read that root development happens during the dark period. @raustin @blackthumbbetty

It may happen faster in dark, but I have rooted clones on 24 hour light several times.

@Ryansway you can veg on 24 hours light, but there are very few reasons you would want to do that. The main reason being weak light intensity. Your plants will only process so much energy each day. How much energy depends on amount of light, water, and co2. If you’re running on ambient co2 then it’s pretty much predetermined for you. Water is easy enough for most of us to supply as needed, usually not an issue. From there, it’s up to you as grower to setup your space accordingly. You can hit recommended DLI with about a ppfd average of 400 umols/s on 18 hour schedule. At that point running your light any longer won’t do much unless you supply additional co2.

This is exact same reason that higher intensity is recommended for flowering. For photoperiod plants that need to reduced light hours to flower, you need to make up for the lack of light hours with higher intensity.

4 Likes

Most growers start at 24/0, then drop down. You can do it all of veg, but it’s not going to add much benefit. Weak lights are really the only reason, and that’s just to ensure your plants get the proper DLI.

Otherwise, it’s a waste of energy, for you and your plants.

2 Likes

Hey,

Yeah, I grew autos last period and forgot I left my timer on 24 hours and never changed it back, and the seedling I got going are doing surprisingly good, and there all photos, I don’t normally grow photo but another grower in my area gave them to me and said it’s the best genetics he has been able to get in the lat 10 years… and kept going on and on about how great they where and he always puts a male and female together to make sure he has seeds, and just clones the best out of 12 every year… soooooo we shall see