Veggies in a tent, basement November begin

Has anyone tried to grow a winter garden in a tent? I’m trying lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, bush beans, snow peas and round zucchini.

I’m running 1500 watts in a 4x8x80". 18/6 right now, sprouting under a dome and then to a 1 gallon pot. After good growth in 1 gallon transplanted to 3 or 5 gallon cloth bag.

ALL seeds are container plants and produce in 42 to 68 days.

Anyone got any pointers for me?

4 Likes

I grow all sorts of stuff in my tents. Currently have tomatos, flowers (non cannibus ones), rubber trees, basil, some sort of weird suculent flower thing. Oh and some mj as well. I put everything on an 18/6 light schedule and water it when it needed it. Treat it like i would as if it was outside.

This is my tomato race to see who will be the biggest seedling. Winner gets up potted. Rest will have solo cups as their final home. So far coco is winning.

6 Likes

I just started snow peas a month ago, while my grow tent was empty. I got broccoli and cherry tomato seeds wet, soon to be planted. My first winter veggie grow.
I got a spare room with three large windows, plan on using supplemental lighting for maybe four or six hours a day, once I learn more about photoperiodism of veggies.

2 Likes

My first time too, I realized theyre gonna grow faster than outside, so be prepared for that. They’re a month old now and over 18" tall and one already made four flowers. They like cool white more than warm white, so far anyway. They like this 6500k, 5000k, 3000k mix.
They get 6.5’ tall in my yard, might reach my 9’ ceilings inside. I have no trellis planned yet.
Another pointer would be any veggies that had a tendency to bolt on you, going to seed, will be easier to prevent without the damn sun and wind. Muching and temp control.

2 Likes

Someone told me if you grow tomato inside you have to shake it every now and then or you’ll never get any fruit out of it. Unless you have fans blowing on it. Helps spread the pollen around. I don’t know if it’s true or not. Im not educated on tomato horticulture yet. Its on the never ending list of things to learn

2 Likes

Ive got all container veg seeds. Short growing and quick, less than 68 days, fruiting period. I even found round Zucchini seeds for indoors.

Im running approximately 1500 watts in my 4 x 8. Lettuce and toms sprouting.

1 Like

I was wondering about them zuchs… so there’s a variety that fits indoors. I woulda thought it spreads too much for indoors

1 Like

It is a bush type plant. They are round fruits instead of the usual elongated shape. You can get them on Amazon - Sow Right Seeds; Zucchini - Round.

1 Like

We are going to try to start them also. Starting in a 4x4. Then maybe after that some into the other tent.
Plants i have picked so far that i think will grow in a tent. Look forward to your grow.

3 Likes

Some more fast growing stuff, right on seems to be the trend if there is one

2 Likes

I’ve grown a few other things in my tent during Winter. Basil, cilantro, dill, rosemary, bell peppers,…

4 Likes

Nice looking.

1 Like

How do you like your seed starter in your photo? I’m looking to buy one.

1 Like

This is true! Tomatoes have both male/female on the same vine. You will need to play the role of the pollinator. Do some YouTube searches on it.

2 Likes

You also have to cross pollinate cuke and all squashes. I use small paint brushes and prolly will on my peppers, beans and peas to just make sure.

2 Likes

I do the paint brush thing also. Airflow and fans help, but i do the same.

2 Likes

Well so far I have Bib lettuce, spinach, 2 types of cukes, 2x 3 gal. bags green beans, 2x 3 gal. bags snow peas, yellow patio tomato, Hungarian sweet pepper, a small miniture bell pepper, red hanging basket tomato and an early boy bush tomato sprouting in the tent. In 2 weeks I’ll start 2 more types of lettuce. Then 3 weeks from now I’ll start 1 more each of early boy, miniture bell pepper, green bean bag, snow pea bag and a cuke.

Gonna see if I can keep it up all winter and into late spring.

1 Like

Very nice.

Beautiful. Real nice.

1 Like

@Ynotfish - what do you fish for?

1 Like