Vegetative "thinning."

It’s been a couple of weeks, and I wanted to check in. These are (2) Gold Leaf fems, and (1) Super Silver Haze, NON-auto. I have a few more weeks before harvest, (flipped to 12/12 on 6/28/19). Now, serving pH’d water (6.5) with Nectar For God’s “Herculean Harvest” and a dash of fresh worm castings, just in case…
I check here, daily, for updates and pics of other’s grows. Some of the pics show few leaves at about this time in MY grow.
My question is… Should I be removing more leaves? BTW…I already started a new Gold Leaf and a Purple Haze plant, hoping to “time” their transfer after my FIRST is harvested. Trying low-stress with these two.
Thanks for all of your help!

3 Likes

Looking good! I’d leave out the worm casting next feeding. They look like they’ve had a little too much nitrogen. As far as your question about thinning them out, that’s the million dollar question. Some like to leave as many ‘solar panels’ on their gals as possible, taking only those leaves blocking bud sites and ones that can’t be tucked out of the way. Others like to strip them practically, to promote new growth and shape their plants. On sativa dominant plants like those, they probably don’t need much trimming at this point, unless you want to trim off the lower stuff that doesn’t see much light. But for airflow or anything like that, it’s not necessary. I wouldn’t do much heavy trimming past a few weeks into flowering. The ones on deck look happy.

5 Likes

I just thinned my lst about ten days into flower but I had to because I had to remove a plant that was male. I only remove what is blocking light towards good buds or buds that are on the bottom that are wasting my plant energy because they don’t look like good buds.

1 Like

@DD214 what branch were you in?

1 Like

You also have at least a month to go.

4 Likes

Check, on the nitrogen. Thanks so much for your input!
USMC '72-'94 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Thanks for your service. Beautiful plants take your time finishing up. I have to gl’s should be finished about
8/22

2 Likes

Thank YOU!
I’d love to see a pic of your girls!

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 is correct. you have at least a month left. Don’t flush yet, you can get away with another 2-3 feeding

2 Likes

I’m planning on taking several pictures when I get ready to chop . I will send them your way in a few days .First ones I’ve ever had that are going to be pretty much spot-on estimated flower time.

1 Like

Awesome!
I can’t wait! :grinning:

1 Like

I did trim them up a bit, and it DOES seem to allow for better light distribution.
Thanks, everyone!

2 Likes

Was typing when you posted new pics LOL. That looks much better. Good for air flow and light and you didn’t strip it! You should be good.

You do look very green, I would start to dial the nutes back or you’re going to taste/smell them during curing. With 3-4 weeks left, yellow leaves should start to be appearing from the bottom up.

You got this!

1 Like

They look great.
It may be the lighting but I noticed white spots on your leaves.
You might wanna check with a loop the undersides of leaves and soil for critters.
I’m going through a spider mite infestation and that can be a sign. Just thought I would Point that out so you can check if it’s not the lighting.

2 Likes

That pic @Skydiver put up shows N toxicity FYI.

The last couple of grows I’ve been supporting the plants with more N than has been accepted in recent years. The theory is to provide everything to keep the plant happy until harvest. I know the argument that excess N is harsh to the finished flower but with a good flush the buds are as smooth as you can get. My hydro grow flushed down to under 100 ppm and the smoke is like a unicorn fart lol.

7 Likes

:unicorn::dash: lol that one got me. If that’s not a strain you need to patent the name and get that started. Idk if you’ve heard of Bang Energy they make a flavor called rainbow unicorn. Cotton candy mixed with fruity pebbles is what it taste like. Easy terpine profile to recreate.

1 Like

Will do. Thank you!

Yes, there are yellow spots that appeared maybe 4 weeks ago, but they are evenly distributed across the plant. I did look carefully, nothing unusual underneath…:face_with_monocle:
I was struggling with pH for a while, too, until I got something to measure with. There’s a lot to learn, but everyone here have been family!
So helpful…AWESOME!

Holy Crap!
I’m a genius, and didn’t know it! :joy:
I wish I could say, that injecting toxic levels of N, was my plan, but I’m afraid I can’t!
That’s the only Silver Haze I’ve grow, on my only grow, but this plant is beautiful, maybe too so😂
Live and learn.
Thanks, guys!

1 Like

Look for 1 mm long black and white things called thrips they can be cause of white dots unless u no what ur looking for there very hard to see relatively fast moving put your phone light under the said leaves and sine it up and ull see the thrips through the leaves… if there there of course but that’s a tell tale… do you git like slimy spit like looking streaks on leaves if so its definatley thrips …that’s not tried nute water