Vegation phase - plants look terrible - what's wrong?

Im a newbe growing pot. I have a plant that is in vegetative phase. Leaves are curling up and dropping off. I don’t know if I’m watering too much or too little. I am using SunPro Black Gold soil. I am going to switch to the Farm Ocean etc.soil discussed in this forum. Im using distilled water. and my light source is a 150 watt LED light. I’m using a 2X4 grow tent. I have attached some photos.

1. it’s Probably outgrown the pot
  2. the soil is probably too wet
  3. switch to a 3-5 gallon cloth pot
  4. you’ll need a better light for flowering.

Fox farm ocean forest or happy frog are great soils.

Try filling out a Support ticket
COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.

If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post

NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed

• Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF

• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable

• Indoor or Outdoor

• Light system

• Temps; Day, Night

• Humidity; Day, Night

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

• Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner

7 Likes

^ what he said and more.

You will get sorted here, good luck

5 Likes

Welcome to ILGM! :v:

5 Likes

Welcome bro these guys got you covered!

Good luck!

I’d add the distilled water is a problem for anything other than flushing. It’s using osmosis to pull nutrients out of the soil and perhaps the plant.

You want pH ~6.2 water that, at a minimum, has a mineral content. Spring water that’s been pH adjusted is probably fine.

@lchalupa Can you take a photo of the root system? You should be able to pull the plant out of the pot without too much trauma.

1 Like

welcome buddy, you will fix this. great people helping… :+1::grin: :grin:

NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed’’
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Co2; Yes, No

1 Like

[quote=“Drinkslinger, post:2, topic:38516”]

NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
Northern Lights (fem)

Organic Soil

moving to 5lb. cloth potw was 3 inch clay pot

distilled water - moving to spring water
n/a
• Indoor or Outdoor
Indoor
• Light system
150 W LED
• Temps; Day, Night
don’t know
• Humidity; Day, Night
don’t know
No
None
• Co2; Yes, No
don’t know

Definitely ready for transplant. Clay pots retain to much water, best bet is fabric pots. Better drainage for root system. I tried distilled water… Did not turn out well, trial and error learning this wonderful art. I use tap water with a pH meter to check level and ph up/down kit to adjust as needed. I would recommend ffof or ffhf for soil (personal opinion). It would be helpful to know your tent size. You will definitely need more light, how much more depends on tent size. Also, ventilation and intake air circulation is necessary, plants need fresh air. Temp and humidity play a big role too. A humidity thermometer is cheap enough. As I said before this is personal opinion based on everything I learned here from so many wonderful people in this forum…best of luck…!!!

2 Likes

Not to get too far off topic, but I found lowering the PPM’s for winter’s dryness helps mitigate stunting, in higher humility the plants do fine at a higher PPM setting, about 150 PPM differential, it seems the plants need more water with the salts when conditions are dry, otherwise they slightly stunt.

My guess? That plant is very over watered and suffering from root rot. Dryer conditions and a brush of sulfur powder around the stem may prevent it’s progression to stem rot.

1 Like

Can you clarify what you’re using? Organic soil? If i’m reading that right, what kind? and what are you using for nutrients?

Welcome friend, I’m also new here but at first look, the root ball isn’t even buried all the way in the soil. Looks like you may have already moved it to a 5 gallon cloth pot, good. How high is the light above the canopy, is it on a timer, and how long are they on? Do you have well water or city? Trim those dead leaves off. Aprox how long has it been growing? Good luck,

My grow tent is 2X4. Looking toward the future what do I need for a light? Presently, my light consists of one LED 150 watts light. I could just add a second light such as another LED 150 Watts? This unit does not have a daisy chain feature so that complicates the solution. What would you suggest?

How much money are you prepared to spend upfront, and how much do you care about grams per watt (i.e. your monthly electrical costs)?

2x4 normally you want about 50w per sq foot. So your looking at at least 400w for veg, and maybe 600w for flower.