Veg light LED build - need advice

The only thing I might suggest is to have standoffs on the light side so you can set it down to work on.

1 Like

Good suggestion! Those eye bolts through the frame with nut and washer below should do it.

1 Like

That’s a great idea! My HLG kit has those included in it. I’ll rig that up with the eye bolts, as @dbrn32 suggested.

2 Likes

Arrow doesn’t have it in stock. Anywhere else you can suggest I look? Otherwise, would you just recommend getting the b version? Since this is a veg light, do I even really need to have a dimmer for this light? In a 4x4 tent I’d think I ought to run it full strength?

You’re going to end up with dimming driver regardless. You may as well try to get the a driver and have capabilities without buying anything else. Mouser, jameco, digikey, rapid led all sell meanwell

@dbrn32
Does this look like the right wire? I had a hard time finding a 18awg solid wire.
Remington Industries 18UL1007SLDKIT UL1007 18 AWG Gauge Solid Hook-Up Wire Kit, 300V, 0.0403" Diameter, 25’ Length Each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010IBYA7E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2AemCbRCJN61Y

I couldn’t find power cords, wago connectors or the wire on the Jameco or Mouser website. I’m probably retarded but their search engines didn’t care for my search terms. Lol! I will try to call both supply houses and ask if they carry the other items. But Amazon seemed to have everything I need besides the driver and my prime shipping helps. Right now I’m sitting at about $243 before I buy the angle. So, I’m not TOO far off your $250 estimated build cost…I’m guessing.

1 Like

You can probably get by a little cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008UFZ098/?tag=greenrel-20

@dbrn32

Hey brother. Is there any chance you could throw up a quick sketch of the frame layout for the light we’ve been talking about me building with the QB120’s? I forgot to measure them and find myself near a metal supplier; so I don’t know what lengths I need of the 1/8th inch angle to have them cut. If you can sketch me a quick diagram OR post me a list of the lengths and number of pieces, I could pick up the metal here in an hour or so.

If you’re too busy, I totally understand. Just thought I’d ask. :smile:

2 Likes

I did four 120 boards in a 4x4 tent for veg… I decided to put each board over a 2x2 corner of the tent, so my whole fixture is 3x3… That’s four sections of 3’ each for the frame, then I put two more 3’ sections inside the frame:

All in all it required 12’ of angle. In hindsight I wish I made it a little narrower, so I might lop off 6" of width on it.

3 Likes

If you get 10’ in single length will be plenty for a 2x4. I’d figure if you got 2 pieces between 43-44" would be good for long pieces. The other measurement on board is a smidge over 11". So depending on what size angle you get, the short piece measurement would have to be in line with clearing that span.

Thanks y’all!!

1 Like

@dbrn32 I’m finally going to have some time to build my new light this weekend. Question for ya…

On those QB120’s, how far to the sides (at what angle, roughly) do the put out light? I’m putting them in a 4x4 and I’m trying to figure out how far apart to put them to get even coverage of the 4x4. I’m thinking about having ~18” between the 2. This would allow it to sort of straddle my carbon filter that’s in the center of the room, if I want to have the light fairly high. Plus, that space in between the lights could be room for adding some supplementary COBs or an Emerson board if I need more light or broader spectrum. This is a veg light and I’m running 4x 3500k QB’s.

Thanks for all your help!!

1 Like

I’d probably make the fixture about 32"x 32" or so. That being said, if you need to go 36"x30 to make it work isn’t the end of the world. The boards are slightly bigger in one dimension than the other, so most balance isnt going to be perfectly square. But don’t go out and buy another 4’ piece of angle to make your light an inch or two bigger either.

@dbrn32 I’ve got 36” pieces of angle. So, I just let the end pieces hang over a couple inches on each side and ended up with a 32” x 36.5” frame for the QB’s. There will be about 12” between them. I’m very happy with it because I can see the potential for adding supplemental lights to the frame if I ever want to. I’m kinda fascinated with the Emerson Effect Boards from RapidLED. I’m also considering getting some 6500k lights, when I can afford it, to add since it’s supposed to be a veg light. I’m thinking some cooler light would really benefit the veg stage. With several light setups onboard I could put each type on a separate timer and, potentially, ramp the lighting up and down more like natural light AND to avoid the effects possible from lights going directly to full blast.

Here’s a picture of the frame. Gonna try to mount the boards today. I need to wire the boards in series, correct?

3 Likes

Looks good, yes wire them in series.

1 Like

2pcs of Unitfarm 684 will work for 4’x4’, watch this guy’s growing video, it will be helpful: BEGINNER AUTOFLOWER GUIDE: TIPS FOR BIGGER BUDS - YouTube

1 Like

Late to the game but TY for posting this video link. I watched and learned and subscribed to his channel; unreal info.

I found this post as I’m in a rush to do a light build for a 4x4 and this thread really helped. I also just ordered more seeds from ILGM because I was intrigued by auto flowers. I am psyched that the auto’s may be a plant I can grow in my “antique” Phototron, which is how I found ILGM. TY

2 Likes