Vacum sealed Mason Jars

I have used vacuum sealed jars for years but now using it for my herb.
How long can I expect a sealed quart or half gallon jar to hold its rh w/o boveda, and placed in a cool dark place? If I didnt open for over a year or 2 would it still be close to where I started? Please speak on personal experience. Thanks

3 Likes

As long as the jars stay sealed, it doesn’t lose any RH. I dry my bud to 58-62 RH then seal up in mason jars with no boveda, they are the same RH after a year, no moisture loss.

6 Likes

Music to my ears, thanks.

2 Likes

Profile - Hellraiser - I Love Growing Marijuana Forum Profile - UncleCharley - I Love Growing Marijuana Forum
I wanted to say thank you for this post do yo think if I vacuum sealed the mason jar how would it effect the RH or do you know

I ran across this post in searching on information no the

Man, I’m token on gorilla glue, AK47 and Pineapple I grew back in 2020. Keep it in a seal mason jar with a humidity pack. Tastes as good as the year I grew it.

@UncleCharley has anyone used the Food Saver vacuum sealer for long term storage?

I would either use jars or Grove bags; jars can be vacuum sealed with a humidity pack inside if you’d like, Grove bags can also be vacuum sealed but you don’t need a humidity pack. I recommend Grove bags for easiness.

Personally, no, I wouldn’t use regular food-saver bags.

Depending on how much vacuum these said jars were under and the temp they were stored at. Water typically boils around 100C or 212F boiling causes evaporation. When you place anything containing water under a vac it dramatically reduces it boiling point. For example pure H2O under a perfect vacuum of 29.92inHg (inches of mercury) boils at 15C or 59F. In short the vacuum unless it were an extremely minuscule amount, less than 2inHg would have a negative impact on moisture levels unless you kept it very cool.
Food savers use a vacuum sealing system that achieves around 10inHg however food is intended to be stored near or at freezing.
In the case of dried or drying goods stored under vacuum, the levels would slowly make their way back up to ambient pressures as the moisture evaporated and changes to its gaseous form.
Vacuum chambers essentially remove all moisture they contain through the process of evaporation.

1 Like

Protect the flower somehow. Vacuuming flower will compress it into rocks that are hard to break up. Here’s how I do long-term storage. Flower is cured in Mason jars. Once cured and humidity is stabilized at 58 to 60% I’ll use 11" Foodsaver bags and vacuum seal each jar. I put them in an enclosed box (to keep out light) and store them in the coolest room in my house.

2 Likes

I posed this question a little over 2 years ago. All of my jars still hold a very tight vacuum w/ 59-62% RH I do a lot of cooking and have a surplus of mason jars so it just seemed like the logical way to go.

2 Likes

Do terpenes get any damage from the vacuum in jars for long term storage?

Don’t crush the buds, when using vacuum suction prior to seal.
Jars prevent bud crushing.

@MidwestGuy Can the vacuum damage the terpenes in long term storage, say a year?