Using Liquid nitrogen

The background on this, I live in a remote area dry ice is unavailable. I do have the ability get liquid nitrogen. How would this work? Can this work? Thoughts?
If I get the fine 70-150 micron bubble bags, I could pour it in a bucket just like dry ice and beat the flower and sugar leaves with a stick or use an inert medium like marbles to help agitate.
Obviously extreme caution would be used, and all necessary personal protective clothing layers. All comments appreciated.
@dbrn32 @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Hogmaster @garrigan65 @latewood @MAXHeadRoom @VelcroThumb @Bogleg @1BigFella

3 Likes

@GreenThunder @Screwauger @Willd @WillyJ @Growit @Soilgrowth @Sirsmokes @Donaldj @Fever @AnneBonny

1 Like

Dry ice is about as cold and would be very much the same as making dry ice hash freeze agitate screen or shake though it likely gasses off much faster I also am unsure I would have to buy special permits to purchase and storage vessel. Costs about $10 a lb for dry ice here and there is no storing it so need to buy as needed then use it to add co2 to space

1 Like

@Donaldj liquid nitrogen is -346°F to -320.44°F
The place where I work may be able to allow me to borrow the special container to store it temporarily, or until it’s gone.
There’s no local source for dry ice. It cannot be shipped here.
Dry ice is -109.3°F respectively.

1 Like

I don’t know but be real careful :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes I’m not sure about this however it sounds like it may work but will the micron bag hold up to that cold? I mean I know dry ice is very cold but liquid nitrogen freezes almost everything it touches. I’m assuming if you have it at work that you do some work with it hopefully, Lord be careful I will say a little prayer brother.

4 Likes

Definatly outside the box brother

2 Likes

I have a little experience with it, mostly pouring to one container to the next, and checking the level in the container. Sometimes when you live in Alaska, you think outside the box often, sometimes to survive when SHTF in the woods. Other times, just to make things work! (Engines, plumbing you name it, parts are never in town lol) @Sirsmokes

3 Likes

At that cold pretty much entire plant shatters not just trichs so I would be a bit wary about using it

8 Likes

I was thinking along same lines as donaldj, but heck if I know.

How big of deal would it be to try a small amount? Thinking along the lines of there’s only one way to find out haha!

3 Likes

I’m thinking your micron bag freezes and falls right through. I don’t think this will work but I base that on a complete lack of knowledge about the stuff. If it freezes tennis balls to shatter level, that mesh is going brittle and will not hold up.

Ultimately, I think plain old ice will accomplish the end goal.

6 Likes

yea,i do not think your bags will hold up @Covertgrower
try putting your plant material in freezer bags and put in a brine of salt water and ice,and let them freeze.
if you have smaller bucket then use it for bubble bags while you have that bucket in brine solution also…
hash water stays salt free and super cold!!!

3 Likes

@Covertgrower the guys got you covered
Liquid nitrogen is very dangerous if you get it on your skin it will cause frost bite super fast
Also as @Donaldj mentioned it will shatter the entire plant
You can get a dry ice maker if you wanted to and can afford the expense they use the liquid nitrogen to make dry ice

4 Likes

I’ve worked with LN2 for decades and it’s not hard or dangerous. If you have a thermos bring a small amount home in that. Cap it with a rolled paper towel. That will give you a small amount to play with.

2 Likes

Just struck me as funny @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

You can make dry ice from liquid nitrogen. Here is a Youtue video.

Looks easy enough. Have fun

@Covertgrower @Donaldj @GreenThunder @Sirsmokes @dbrn32 @BIGE @Countryboyjvd1971 @Myfriendis410 @Screwauger

7 Likes

I don’t know if I would be pouring liquid Notrogen in a plastic bucket.
Like dry ice and even more dangerous; If you splash that on you; You
will be damaged.

Nice question to address on our podcast tonight. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses all @latewood @MAXHeadRoom I’ll be brainstorming this project. Just want to make some hash with the next grow. I’ve also considered using a co2 fire extinguisher for dry ice purchased from e of bay. But I’m still not sure if I could get it shipped here.

I find the 5 gallon bubble hash bags work really well. You just need to use a little elbow grease and some regular ice to agitate everything. There’s great tutorials on YouTube. Good luck!

1 Like

Dry ice is the way to go Co2 fire extinguishers are real expensive but paint ball shops deal in co2 tanks for the guns and its much cheaper and you can get refills you dont need much dry ice well depending on amount of leaf