Using Everclear but a bit scared

Im hoping this is the correct category, but i have a question. I ordered a magical butter machine (coming today) and i plan to do an array of butters, oils, edibles, etc.
I have never made any.
Reading different posts i see the word EVERCLEAR alot.
Here is my fear. I am a alcoholic. Recovering i should say. (11-23-22 is 2 years sober).
I have a fear of relapse if using alcohol in my products.
I dont fear drinking any, i am stronger then that and honestly dont have the urge, i was a beer drinker, but does the alcohol evaporate?
I guess i am concerned that it could be a trigger without me even realizing it.

7 Likes

I do a QWET wash (quick wash ethanol tincture) when making edibles and the alcohol does evaporate. Hope this helps you out brother.

3 Likes

Thanks, i will have to research what and how that is done!

1 Like

Alot of growers use the Source turbo to do a QWET. I don’t use either the source or MBM I only do ebiles a few times a year. @Caligurl @Myfriendis410 use the source and the MBM. Also @AfgVet uses it

2 Likes

The alcohol will evaporate out 99.9% of it anyway… Everclear is nasty stuff… it doesn’t temp me at all LOL but I can totally understand your concern and it is a valid one. You can always just stick to oil infusions… they are not as easy to dose and taste stronger of weed but they are just fine.

8 Likes

If you have an instapot there are recipes for decarbing straight into oil. I can’t be around the hard stuff myself.

6 Likes

The alcohol does evaporate. I read that if any is left it would be less than what is in Vanilla extract.

5 Likes

I’ve read this as well.

2 Likes

Your honesty about alcoholism is outstanding. I also won’t touch it to my lips. Why test my resolve?! If you don’t want to bring any liquid near you, you could go old school, and reduce bud in butter or oil in a skillet.

8 Likes

Any idea where to find these? I do have a insta

2 Likes

2 things ive learned about alcoholism:
1= its not a problem until you realize that it is.
2= it only takes 1 drink to get an alcoholic drunk (alcoholics will never stop at 1)

9 Likes

@Newt can you post that link your gave me here?

2 Likes

This one?

6 Likes

I think that is the one I was searching for! I am in desperate need of a new phone and computer. I think she has another one about decarbing straight in oil.

2 Likes

I applaud your sobriety. Been in the rooms myself.

2 Likes

The search on her site is pretty good, and I know there is a section on decarbing oil on this site:

I followed it to decarb my recent Ethanol Hash Oil run, I suspect he also has a process for other formats.

I ended up with a very nice goo…

IMG_7782

5 Likes

Do you do any color remediation on your extracts?

2 Likes

Congrats brother. 5 plus here. The everclear will all evap BUT…your call on temptation. What is not there can not tempt you. Infusing requires no everclear. Only if stripping the oils from plant matter. 1 taste is all it takes my friend as you know. Even my mouthwash is alchohol free. I am not worried but I know its control and never again.

3 Likes

Im 15 years sober myself. Here is to better life choices! You can make tincture with glycerin instead of alcohol.

4 Likes

None. This color, I believe, is the result of a relatively short wash, and decarbing after the extraction. Previous extractions when decarbing prior to extraction, have been nearly black.

2 Likes