Using an Instant Pot for Budder/Oils/etc

Thanks sweetie. I bookmarked it :+1:

1 Like

I just looked at your thread here on using the Instapot to make your canna butter/oil. How well did it work? Did you feel you got the entire yield from the pot as if you were doing it traditionally only at a faster pace?

1 Like

Never mind I saw elsewhere you said it was a success. I have an instapot at home too.

1 Like

It’s how I’ve been making my budder, since that first test. I think I get a better yield than I used to, in only an hour’s time.

I have started decarbing in the oven for 30 mins, then I pressure cook for 20. After decarbing, I spritz the material with ever clear, then do the pressure cook thing.

4 Likes

Everclear the alcohol?

2 Likes

I found this article a few months ago https://hightimes.com/edibles/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-results/
which led me to the Scientic Method (method 1) for making budder.
Ultimate Cannabutter Experiment: Method 1 | High Times

With the oven decarb for 30 and pressure cooking for 20, it ends up decarbing for about an hour.

6 Likes

Oh, btw, that should say Scientific Method…lol! Stupid me for not editing before posting. I blame the weed.

6 Likes

No worries thank you. I am not the cook in my house and I suspect that when I start cooking my weed my wife is going to be very protective of her InstaPot. She uses it often and stores it carefully. I am a complete newbie to this. I had to leave weed for a long time due to my employment but now that I am retired and living in a recreational state I get to enjoy all of this and eat my cake too. LOL Thanks for the links too.

7 Likes

Hello @blackthumbbetty, I just put 1#butter in pressure pot with ground up leaves and buds, all fresh. I know I have done something wrong. It smells like cut outdoor grass. I cooked it for 1 hour. The recipe didn’t give specifics other than 1# salted butter to keep from burning. I didn’t know if the leaves and buds were supposed to be dried. Then I read where you said something about decarbing, is that necessary. Should I just throw this out and what about the straining material, do I throw that away? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know I keep calling you out and sometimes I need to be told to back off and not be so needy. :herb:

4 Likes

It has to be dried, ground, in the oven on tray with parchment paper for 1 hour at around 210 degrees I believe. That’s what I did. Then into the # of butter with some water. I used 1/2 cup water and might need to add more. Then you strain ito a bowl and let get hard in fridge. After it’s hard drain the water and put in glass butter dish. If you just used sugar leaves and small buds then I put them in what I’m cooking. If it is stems and fan leaves I don’t eat them no matter how small it is ground. About 20 grams for a lb of butter… hope this helps. If I’m wrong on some numbers please jump in. Not sure what you can do with what you got. I’d toss the butter greens and probably play with the butter maybe try on toast. Probable to taste very green. Lol. There is a bunch of explanations why it is done this way. Not like the old days where we just grind and make spaghetti sauce.

3 Likes

To convert THC-A to THC, you have to heat the material to approximately 240F for about an hour.

I wouldn’t use salted butter when making your budder; just stick with unsalted or clarified butter, or coconut oil.

For me, I go with a gram of bud per serving, so the amounts vary, depending on what I plan on doing with the budder. So, for me, I typically do 1 Ounce of Bud to 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup).

2 Likes

Hey thanks for showing me another way. I found my treats were strong. I really wanna try some of yours. Lol. Thanks

2 Likes

@blackthumbbetty, I need a little help again. I am trying to harvest my grow and boy I wish I had physical help, this is a real chore. Since I didn’t trim all the little growths off during grow, I have all these minute little buds or flowers, that are a pain in the butt getting all the leaves off, there is a lot of resign on those little leafs, so can I put them all together for budder? What about after I dry all this, how do I store it? Freezer in vacuum bags or do I have to use them right away? I don’t want to lose all that good stuff. I know how to care for the jar buds. I am learning a lot of not to do and do list from this grow. You have been helpful, very helpful and I thank, you again.:herb:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t bother trimming those popcorn/larfy buds. Save your hands! You can dry it in a cardboard box, then cook with it. For long-term storage, bag it and freeze it.

2 Likes

You’re a natural at this, btw. It’s been my pleasure helping where I can.

3 Likes

Oh, @roseofsharon, some people will make dry rub kief after freezing their trim.

4 Likes

So I understand that everything has to be dried before use and for freezing? Just knowing that would make my mind rest easier. My thoughts was if I froze it fresh it would turn to mush when I thawed it. Is it okay to use plastic vacuum bags to freeze? So far I have 2 qt. jars of Sour D and most of it is small buds. I am drying the small ones in a dehydrater and larger ones I am hanging on hangers with fan on them. My husband is wanting me to hurry every chance I get. lol He is afraid someone will come over and discover my new hobby. lol I don’t want anyone to know. Don’t need a home invasion for my meds. I know I am gabbing, going to bed now so I can get up early and go at it again. This grow should last a long time because we just pinch hit before we go to bed.:herb:

5 Likes

Yes, dry before freezing, otherwise it’s just like freezing lettuce. You can use vacuum bags.

Be careful drying with your dehydrator, as it can affect flavor. Typically, it’ll take 5-7 days before it’s ready to jar/sample.

6 Likes

You are the best. Also, you must be really intelligent. Your rattle those hard to answer questions kind of scientific and way over my head but I love to read all of your posts, when I find them. Always good information coming from you.:herb:

5 Likes

Here you go @Bman3232 :grin: another one

3 Likes