Used gorilla tape on broken stalk

I just had a massive wind storm damage two of my plants very bad. Main stems we’re broken with nothing but skin attached. I was there to quickly put them together but I used gorilla tape because I was not aware I was going to have to remove it eventually. They are just starting to bud it’s august in Virginia. If I leave it on 4 weeks that’ll be Sept. I’m just wondering if I should leave it on. I really can’t believe they are recovering. Next year I’m definitely staking them. The stalks are pretty good size. The plants were bushy and about 5 foot tall. They seem to be recovering it’s only been 3 days. I’m just afraid that since I used gorilla tape it won’t come off. I did this before realizing you had to take it off. I was just panicking.

You can leave it on especially if it’s just on the stem

2 Likes

Yeah the main stems, very woody. I didn’t think they would get much bigger at this point. I started feeding them a bloom booster once a week. I just don’t want the tape to hurt me a month from now. Should have some good buds by then. Not sure when they’ll be done but they have only been budding a week.

You’ll probably be able to peel it off in a month :wink::+1:t2:

1 Like

I see you posted in another post. I’m a first time grower in a legal state. Before I had to do it in concealment. Growing them in the middle of a field I have never grown such beautiful plants. I have one that is 8’ and I had topped it twice lol. I’ll put some pictures up soon. I just got on this site. I actually got the seeds from here so it should be descent if it makes it

@grizZz is 100% correct, leave it on, no harm no foul. Since it was ur main beam it will knuckle up at the break upon healing. Meaning ur stem will expand at the break n circumference. At this point the tape should peel off as @grizZz suggested. If not score the tape carefully with a blade lengthwise, this will allow the stem to swell n the tape will split where u scored it. Being outdoors n Virginia u gots time for her to totally heel before harvest, it’s all good.

1 Like

!

IMG_20210802_170602451|375x500

2 Likes

Dayam @HighEric that’s some excellent back yard ingenuity. So u really can tape up anything with that gorilla product. :+1::+1:

1 Like

@Hellraiser I see you are very knowledgeable I hope you don’t mind me tagging you. I wanted to know what you think. I don’t want to do anything that would effect it during flowering. You think the tape will hurt it?

I think it’ll be fine. You’ll know pretty quick, if it starts dying above the break, then the break was too much and not much you can do there, if it doesn’t start dying above the break then it’ll be fine.

I just worry about the tape choking it out. I was amazed they never even drooped.

they are still going strong two weeks later

1 Like

Duct tape is stretchy and stems shouldn’t be getting too much thicker at this point.

1 Like

Hey man just curious what strain you have there with the huge fan leaves ?

Well to be honest I don’t really know. I had 3 kinds and when I planted them I lost track which one is which. The one in the middle is girl scout cookie extreme and the other ones are gorilla glue and gold leaf. I think the big ones are gold leaf?

I took the tape off today with a surgical knife. I could see the trunk was being constricted. They both still look great.

I took the tape off today and they are looking better. I noticed the tape was too tight.

And that’s the great knuckle that was mentioned above. Good job buddy👍
If it is ment to stay together, duck tape it(gorilla tape now days), if it’s meant to come apart, wd40 it. Lol
Heard that decades ago and has just stuck with me.

1 Like

Well sir gotta say that turned into a sweet roll, u gots ur self a nute highway going on now. Them knuckles r stronger than the stalk, great out come from a shity situation. Hell u still gots a couple months depending on the weather situation, till harvest. Ur going to b one happy camper from the looks of ur ladies. I think I found Waldo n the back of ur ladies pic! Best of luck to u completing ur grow, looking forward to see the finished product.

1 Like

I plan on posting a couple pics along the way. And finished product if it makes it

1 Like

I had a similar problem the other day. Except I was the wind storm… backed into it and snap. I used plastic tape and wire. I also put some root gel in there. That may have been a waste but I thought it might stimulate the healing process. It never wilted either and I’m hoping she doesn’t miss a beat.

1 Like