Upgrading lights

Trying to upgrade my old purple LEDs. I just don’t understand how to compare lights anymore. I was looking at the Electric Sky180 but then recently came across the Spider Farmer2000. Which to me looks all around better, price and performance, I was just hoping to get a second opinion before spending that much.

Spider Farmer- Amazon.com
Electric Sky- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNPK6DK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1DRCTIWEURJK3&psc=1

1 Like

@dbrn32 can weigh in here. He’s the lighting guru.

I’m no expert, but I do swear by my HLG Rspec lights.

4 Likes

I’m always considering that price isn’t the same as cost, and that customer service is qualitative.

Some lights are powerful. Some lights are good (efficient). Some lights are both. The long term outlook is to buy a good and powerful light because the operating cost is usually a consideration, more so for some of us in expensive energy markets.

The import lamps on Amazon can be powerful, and maybe they’re efficient, but the customer service can be tedious. I’ve heard nothing but praise for HLG’s customer service.

2 Likes

I’ve recently upgraded lights. I started with 2 450w Viparspectra’s on first grow. Half way through second I updated to 2 260w Rspec led board lights from Budget Led. They did excellent job. Depending on your budget and time frame, you should definitely check out HLG Led kits. Many growers on forum have lights from them and are happy with them. I recently updated lights again with DIY PLC Photo Boost strips. Results to come soon from 3rd grow. You definitely should do a little more research before making a decision. @dbrn32 would be the one to ask about performance and technical issues

2 Likes

I recommend HLG, Timber Grow lights, or Rapid LED (if your handy)
You can easily get a better quality light when you’re putting something together yourself. @ThcHemplar
Edit: at the price point HLG will fit that budget best.

2 Likes

If you got time to consider options, take a look at DIY Light thread. There is a lot of options if you’re interested in getting the most for your money. Like @Covertgrower pointed out you would need to be somewhat mechanically inclined, but some of the DIY projects you can get a kickbutt light for less money.

4 Likes

I always say if you can jumpstart a car with positive + and negative - terminals, you could wire a light together. @Bulldognuts @ThcHemplar

4 Likes

I really know very little about electricity other than if feels like bees when you stick a knife it he wall socket. I have built or rebuilt 4 lights now and I am getting ready to start lights 5 and 6. If it is not obvious, I am an advocate for the DIY route.

3 Likes

The way I see lights. The most important thing. Most of those lights is like comparing this. You do get what you pay for. My HLG’s kits set me back $799 and one plant in bud price was almost 5 times more in value than my 2 HLG kits.

I spent $440 on what Colorado called Top Shelf and that was with being a Veteran. Add fuel costs for a trip of 2200 miles and hotels. I did this trip three times so imagine the dang total costs for 7 ounce and not barely higher low grade swag. Yeah, lights may cost upfront but pay for themselves one crop.

3 Likes

You are correct, the spider farmer is a better value there. But there are some things I don’t like about it. Elg driver needs 230v to make full power.

Hlg lights are a good investment for not a lot more money.

1 Like

My best friend was doing the same thing, going from Texas to Colorado. I was pretty nervous for him. Luckily he decided to move to Colorado where it’s unlikely he’ll get anything more than a citation for home growing or consuming (if your neighbors complain, you’ll get a fine).

And we’ve already talked about the cost of commercial in our respective areas.

I also started with the bluple, unfortunately I didn’t find this forum first. I now have hlg lights and will not use anything other than hlg lights - indoor sunlight is how I describe their leds

3 Likes

I did the same thing with my lights. I thought I had the best but I did understand about my light pulled 274 true watts. I never fell for the ones that said their light is 1k watts and isn’t even close to it.

HLG is awesome. You can’t deny it if you used them.

1 Like

I have two ESC180s, two ESC300s, and more than I care to mention HLG RSPEC LEDs. Save yourself some time and money, buy the HLG LEDs. Don’t get me wrong, I found this forum when I started and still chose to try the ESC LEDs, cause I thought I knew better. The ESCs have done a good job for me but the HLG LEDs are a better light with better results.

1 Like

I made the mistake of buying one of those burple lights off of Amazon like so many others.

I checked eBay. It’s not even worth listing it, so in the trash it will go.

My plants LOVE the HLGs.

1 Like

I’m sure somebody would benefit from getting it for free. I’d list it for free-$5 on Craigslist before tossing it.

I wish you could gift it to somebody like @Dickrick527

1 Like

Well it 100% sounds like I should go HLG over anything else. Im assuming the 260w Rspec should be fine for 2 plants in a 3x3? Either way thank you for all the feedback.

1 Like

I run 2 per on my 260w Rspecs. You should be fine.

They’re not bad lights, just expensive for what they are. Thanks for being honest about your purchases too. A lot of people will spend that kind of money and be a little stubborn about them.

1 Like

Hlg makes a kit specifically designed for 3x3, they call it 260xw. They are kinda hard to find in stock though. If not, standard 260 kit in r-spec is the way to go.