Upgrading LEDs in my 4x4 tent

so opinion…not a proven fact

I believe Mars is a former burple seller, and we all know how the burple makers puff their capability. Their new models are decent.

1 Like

I myself have seen the outrageous claims made over the last few years, one member was asked to change their review (bad) for money, ‘test data’ generated by their own company etc. doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Do they grow weed? Yes. Are they giving you what they say they are? Who knows? With that said there are any number of reputable American/Canadian companies that don’t play these games.

2 Likes

Happy cannaversary my friend @Retiredoldguy

1 Like

Yes. Happy cake day.

2 Likes

thanks @MidwestGuy @GreggT …one year ago me and several others left that other forum and came to this one …have a great day all!

3 Likes

Happy Cake Day ROG.

2 Likes

That’s the big question isn’t it? Initially, I tried to be super analytical but kept coming back to the same question. At what point are we just buying wasted potential?

I still don’t know the answer but we’ll find out.

I did not base my final decision on $/joule or output. It was more based on a consistent series of impressive service response reviews. They were certainly very responsive to me and my early questions. Additionally, I opted for a refurb; only issue was cosmetic and on top. With an additional 15% coupon it brought the price down further.

But my biggest decider in whether this light was right or overkill was using an amplifier analogy. Headroom matters. If, in fact, the HLG has more than necessary for a 4x4 (supposed to handle 5x5) there’s no need to run at 100%. If I can get what I need using only 85%-90% of its potential, it’s just easier on the equipment. I don’t need to have the pedal to the metal.

Obviously, every plant is different and it’s impossible to declare anything as fact with small sample sizes. However, I have identical MH tents sitting side by side. One will have a 4 month old MH TSW2000 that came in the kit. The other will get the HLG. Seeds from same pack and all variables exactly the same. I’ll try to compare side by side as well as to the best results I’ve achieved in the past. I’ll share the results by end of May.

I want to be very clear that I am in no way disappointed in my MH products! They are really a great one stop shop for hobbyists, like me. Over time, I’ve had a couple light issues and they satisfied me. Despite taking better part of a couple weeks to replace. That gap had a big impact on that particular cycle. HLG says they’ll have stuff out overnight when they get the claim.

So now I have an extra, hard run MH light available as back up if I encounter future issues. Or I’ll give it to a friend who could use the upgrade.

I like MH just fine. Kind of the old argument if a Camry will get you there cheaper, why are you driving a pick up? Different strokes, I guess…

| kwall429
February 10 |

• | - |

is there really any point of having a light that can reach 2,000+ PPFD? I was looking at the Scorpion Diablo which runs 2,100 and the ThinkTech Model H which I believe is 1,700. Is the extra PPFD just marketing or does it make a difference?

This is the most efficient full spectrum Horticulture lamp with an efficiency of 3.0 µmol/J and over 2100 PPF output. HLG Scorpion® Diablo™ commercial lamps are designed for growers that demand both high intensity and high efficiency to…

Both are roughly the same price with discounts.
looking to run in a 4x4

edited to remove unauthorized links

thanks Bonjoyle

1 Like

Haha. I lasted 3 days on “that other forum” and left due to the ridiculousness.

2 Likes

wise words indeed :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I was on there for couple years and at first it was good…then we all started noticing things were not up to par and we were talking about it in our daily discussions… and a moderator came on, started defending the company instead of addressing the issue we all were seeing and basically told us if you don’t like this forum then leave…so we did :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I left because forum members were berating new growers for asking the same questions we all asked when we first started growing. Some of the strong opinions they communicated was just bad advice. It seemed to be personality driven, and we don’t do that here. Everyone here is focused on helping others as best we can.

4 Likes

yes there were some daily users that thought they were THE one …

4 Likes

What I like best about the forum is the range of experience and advice. Initially, much of what I read or was told went right over my head. Then came the day when somebody new had a beginner issue and I could address it. This is a great resource and as long as we debate in a civil fashion, we all come out ahead and get better at something we enjoy.

The laundry list of fine detail questions I have continues to grow. I’ll either ask for advice or find it here. Valuable to me.

4 Likes

Multiple members here posting screenshots of emails/conversations with Mars Hydro rep offering them free products, refunds, and/or coupon codes in exchange for member changing their review or feedback. Another member being told by rep to send their light to China for warranty repair and should have it returned in 4-6 weeks. Also posting performance specs with no supporting data.

4 Likes

thanks dbm32 for your comments…I honestly have never run across anything like you mentioned … but I don’t get to see the level you can in this forum…I will keep my ear to the ground because I don’t want to recommend something that others are having issues with

2 Likes

Happy Cannaversary, @Retiredoldguy. Your first lap around the sun as a member of our community.

3 Likes

It is unfortunately common. Here’s an email to me from a burple maker (Aglex) following a review I wrote several years ago. They offered me $20, then $30, and then $40 before they finally gave up and stopped sending me emails.

They just flat-out lied about “changed to another manufacturer.” I didn’t say anything about a “manufacturer” or even components in the review. I just called them out for misleading potential buyers with their puffed capability and data.

3 Likes

and a fun lap it has been…thanks man

4 Likes