Upgrading grow lights

Currently trying to upgrade my lights in my 4x4 from a vivosun 1000. i know hlg 300l rspec are good but running two is out of my budget and i also considered spiderfarm se5000 and hlg 260 w xl just wondering will i need two of the hlg 260 to fill the tent if i went that route

3 Likes

@MrRobot Yes , you will need two H LG 2 60 XL’s in a 4 x 4 space To be efficient. Two lights will also give you flexibility.

3 Likes

Yes like said above will need 2 260, I have a 4x4 and use a HLG 300. Saving now to buy a 260 need more light. 300 is ok for 3x3 but missed on my corners lol on this grow. Grew 4 plants this time, yielded close to the same growing 3 plants. Ran out of light bummer

3 Likes

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Just ordered the two… hopefully the plants like it

4 Likes

They won’t be disappointed

3 Likes

I have two in a 4x4 space works great.

1 Like

I ran 2 HLG 260XL rspecs when I had a 4x4 and it worked great.

1 Like

What light distance did you use for flowering

1 Like

I’m not sure. Maybe 2 or 3 feet.

I run 21 to 27 inchs in flowering stage at full wattage till last couple weeks then back wattage off a little to prevent foxtailing. Watch how the plant responds to your light height. :v::+1:

3 Likes

Do simple kiddo math and know where you need to be. The rule of thumb for led lighting has been 30 watts per square foot. Most find it to be 40 watts a square foot nowadays as they learn to use led lighting. So for example we can take my two HLG 260 V2 Rspec lights. I know there max power draw is 254 watts each as measured with a Kill-A-Watt and also with a amp clamp and multimeter and use ohms law to get watts. 254 x 2 = 508 watts. A 4 x 4 tent is 16 square foot. So divide 16 into 508 for 31.75 watts per square foot. Just barely exceeds what many believe to be the bare min. for led light use.

3 Likes

How does this correlate with the DLI? Would I be better off having my light closer but not up all the way to get my DLI or put it as high up as I can and crank it full blast to get the DLI what’s the difference?

Depends on the style/type of light and how even the PPFD is across the canopy, leaf temps, tent temps. Can be a bunch of variables to look at when optimizing ones grow.

1 Like

I have a 4x8 tent with about 3x6 of that filled. I’m using 8 - 170 watt led’s.
Tent temps are 65-90 degrees with RH around 35%
Lights are 18 inches above plants running around 70% power getting an average DLI of 40 on 12 hours of light.
I saw on here that running higher DLI can give you benefits but it’s a taper off of the efficiency for what you’re getting back in return. I think that’s what I read. I wonder if running them at a higher height and cranking them up makes a difference or does that really matter?

What are you using to get your PPFD/DLI calcs?

Im using the photone app. I calibrated it using a digital lux meter.

At 13 inches my DLI and wattage for that light.

Getting 2 650R next . But I’m not planning on swapping them over till my next run. Will use these lights for veg after that.

Also the lights use 167 watts at full power. I lowered them and also lowered the DLI accordingly. So theyre running at around 100 watts each at the moment.

Check your photone calibration against Apogee ClearSkyCalculator website and the sun… Good Luck