Upgrade for LED later on

That’s really a 268w light, while I’m sure it works fine. I’m not a fan of lights that have to advertise a wattage they dont even use.

1 Like

To clarify, there is only ONE measure of wattage, that is how much current a device draws at a specific voltage. I have 1400 watts of LED fixtures which draw about 12 amps at 120 volts.

The name of a product has no correlation to the nature of the product, consider cars, and any other product. Manufacturers choose names that will generate sales.

Ah I figured you were using a claimed 1400w LED. And usually a products name has everything to do with the product. It attracts new growers who don’t know any better into paying for a product that’s not what they think it is. You can read it all over this forum and many others. When they buy a 1500w light, and think it’s a 1500w light, and you tell them it’s really a 250w light. I’m sure they feel cheated.

SO… any recommendations on brand of lights to buy? ALSO… any good air filters ?

@jt123 if you look above I was discussing a light at about the price range and power you might be interested in. Google HLG HLW Xl QB324 and find this kit. Easy to assemble and all of the message traffic sounds good on them. HLG also gives recommendation on how much space each light will veg or flower in the specs so it does take out some guess work. I have two blurple Chinese LEDs at ~220 wall watts and my plants are doing great. I do augment with 6 mini CFL lights too. I wanted to buy a kit and use a bit less. Same power, but more efficient I am hoping. My tent is a 4 x 2’.

I would run light for my mothers at 18/6 and they only need about 25 real watts per square foot. More light and big pots (and CO2 even) is to make plants grow fast. You want mothers to stay in veg for years and NOT grow fast. That’s why they ideally have their own space. So producing plants can have more light, 12/12 to flower, etc.

I keep a mother in a one gallon cloth pot with 100 watts of CFL and 1/2 strength grow nutes. It is small but happy. Had to make my own pot because I could not find 1 gallon. For production plants go nuts but flip to 12/12 early so they don’t outgrow your 80" tent. Some strains stretch x2 or even x3 after the light change. And don’t forget to count pot size and space for the light when you figure out how tall they should be before you change the light timing.

I think this is what @Aolelon was eluding to. Mattybear is flowering with about that much power and pulling some very very nice harvests. We should be targeting light levels, not how much energy we can use.

3 Likes

Sure, 50 watts per square foot is just a rule of thumb. If you have a great COB setup running at 160 lumens/watt at 90 CRI you won’t need 50 watts/square foot. (And we know how to build these.) But the vast majority of growers buying Chinese lights off Amazon are not getting anything like that.

2 Likes

You’re getting a lot of likes from me today. Must be engineering appreciation day :hugs:

1 Like