Unusual phenotype or male?

I bought 10 Jack Herer autoflowering seeds. My first grow went great. Beautiful plant and potent. The second never looked right from the start. Kind of scrawny and the buds never fully developed … more like pods. It smelled great and was quite sticky at harvest, but after drying and curing, it still looked odd. I did the taste test, and it’s worthless.

I’m growing two more now and would like to understand what happened with the second grow. Maybe just a bad seed? Any ideas?

Looks like bad genetics on this one. Chop and start over.

2 Likes

What is your light schedule…?
:v::sunglasses:

It’s by the window and has an overhead grow light. I turn the light on around 7 a.m. and leave it on until 9 p.m. or so.

1 Like

may we ask what kinda light? Cannabis is a bit hungry when it comes to light. Actually a lot hungry!

3 Likes

I bought the light recommended by Pot for Pot. Purchased on Amazon: Rapid LED 75W CREE CXB3590 COB LED Grow Light Fixture (3500K)

2 Likes

Are you able to plant weed outside? I ask this because the sun has all the light your plant needs and its free. In addition, you dont stink up your house. You can prune it to stay below the fence if thats desirable.

I live in California, so yes, but my yard doesn’t get much sun. Here’s a picture of my two current plants. The one on the left spent 10 days outside in what I thought was a sunny spot, but it didn’t look good, so I brought it in. You can see the inside one (on the right) is in much better shape. I realize sharing the light is probably a bad idea, but I’m in this far …

My first plant that I grew over the winter was in this same spot and did fine.

1 Like

Very nice! Are these autos? Im hoping so… im old so Id have to re read the entire thread :laughing:. As you can see, in the photo, the right hand plant is phototroping, that is bending to the most intense light source. Ideally, the sun travels from East to West and the plant would track its movement. Because your light source is narrow and stationary the plant will be bent there. If your budget can afford it I highly suggest a better light source. While a good light will set you back 350 bucks the difference in pmant growth is astonishing :astonished:. @dbrn32 is the guru of artificial light and I highly recommend you speak with him in this matter. A better light will also give wider coverage. Those cob style lights are normally hung in the correct distance from each other to cover a bigger area. So in groups… also cobs used in pro grows are hung pretty high and are very strong lights. Im personally not a huge fan of the cob form factor due to the small footprint and diminishing light energy off the sides. The newer panels do a much better job covering wider areas at pretty low wattage. Here is a light that I use as an example of form factor of a modern light fixture

while this light is not a 350 dollar fixture and is too big for you purposes it illustrates a wide coverage form factor. Plants tend to grow straight up and bushy because of great light penetration. Light can enter the canopy from multiple angles, and with your light this is not possible.
As you can also see in your photo, there is shadows on the soil and your plants arent even bushy yet, you wont see that with a better panel style fixture until the plant is thick!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the information. I know this doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, but I hate that I already put a hook in the ceiling for this light. I’ll check out some alternatives. And yes, autoflowering.

3 Likes

The 260xl is not a big heavy thing, Im sure a cieling hook will support it.

1 Like

I started indoor grow in one side of my 8 foot closet, with cheap 300w lights, I’ve upgraded since, but no damage to my apartment, lights hang from pole in closet and extention cord and timer is all you need. I have 2 hlg 100s in a 2x4 space. I grow 2 to 3 plants, but stinks in my house when they are in flower. I was getting 2 to 21/2 ounces per plant, new lights now getting 3 to 3 1/2. I’ve been told the glass windows block uv light so window growing is never going to get hungry plants the light they need. If you want to produce real plants I’d buy a small tent or clean out a closet, buy good lights and grow on. I’m 62 can’t afford weed for my pain but two grows a year and I’m good… Happy growing

3 Likes