(Unprepared/unexpected) 1st grow

Thanks in advance for your advice :blush:

So, a friend of mine visited and unexpectedly he has given me 2 x plants. This was 3 days ago. Im a gardener but have no experience with cannabis plants at all. Ive read as much info as i can in the past days but thought id aske the ‘brains-trust’ for some basic advice. Here are the facts so far:
(Photos attached for reference)

• Strain: Purple Haze
  • Plants grown from clones
  • Environment: indoor growing. Sub tropical weather Australia. Summer has just finished here so we head into ‘cooler’ months, but our winter months are very similar to european/USA summer temps - perhaps a little cooler.
  • Equipment: Marshydro 60cm x 60cm x 140cm grow tent with 600W LED (it was on facebook and cheap and available immediately- ?temporary home). 4" extraction fan.
  • Nutrients: Advanced nutrients Sensi Grow A + B, Bloom A + B
  • Grow media: coco coir
  • For the past 3 days Ive had them under light for 24hrs/day
  • grow tent temp never gets below 27C - i suspect the tent is too small and the light is producing too much heat.
  • Feeding- each day they have had 250ml of water mixed with 3ml AN Grow A +B , morning and night. Media is not soggy and not bone dry.
    Im going to repot today into larger (?5/10 gallon)

I have no idea or plan for these girls!
?keep for cloning purposes…learning experience
?flip, ?when
?watering and feeding schedule. ?every day water with nutrient or every other day

Any advice or ideas is greatly appreciated.

5 Likes

For starters, if the Advanced Nutrients Sensi A and B are the formulas specifically made for growing in coco, you’ll be good. If it’s the regular Sensi A and B, you’ll need to add Calmag to your feedings growing in coco. Otherwise the plants won’t get enough calcium and magnesium because the coco is going to take too much.
There’s a site called coco for cannabis and they have very clear and easy to follow instructions for growing in coco. I’m a soil grower, but I did one full grow in coco. I followed that website the whole way through.
Welcome to growing, and good luck!

5 Likes

Thanks mate! Im looking forward to learning all i can and going down the rabbit-hole of growing.

It appears the nutrients are coco-specific

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about going coco for a grow to see how it goes. Growth is much more rapid from what I understand since it is essentially hydro.

Is coco a PITA to water and feed so often, or is it worth it?

4 Likes

Welcome to forum

3 Likes

Yeah. Welcome, @Mayer888

3 Likes

I use coco and i think it pays off.

5 Likes

That’s good @Mayer888, those are the proper base nutrients for Coco!

3 Likes

I’m not going to grow again until September. I think I’ll go coco this time.

3 Likes

Thanks all.

Im using coco purely because this is how they came and the nutrients i received. Im guessing changing is a laborious and unnecessary task, especially being such a novice.

5 Likes

The plants definitely grew much faster and bigger in coco than they do in soil, but it was way too much effort for me, and I spent a fortune on the extra nutrients.
Most of that is because I think I went overboard following the instructions from the coco for cannabis website. I had them in big pots, but I still fed them twice a day, every day. It was a ton of work compared to feeding every other night like I do in soil. On an average soil grow for 12 autos start to finish I don’t even use a full gallon of my base nutrients. For the 1 coco grow with 9 plants I used just over 3 gallons. I got a good amount bigger yields, but I think it cost more to grow.

4 Likes

Yeah. All that stuff was what I was thinking were the downsides.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Mayer888

Here are a few pointers.
You said that your plants are clones which means they are photoperiod plants.

You can grow these plants as large as you like with an 18/6 schedule in vegetative mode.

When you want to switch to flower change your light schedule to 12/12

For Mars Hydro lights if needed I would remove the drivers from the light and place outside of the tent.

If you do not have a light meter or luxmeter I would suggest that you get one.

5 Likes

Over the course of 3 months I lugged hundreds of buckets of runoff from my grow room to my bathroom, lol.
It beat me up so bad I’m currently working on putting a slop sink in my grow room!

7 Likes

I’ve always used saucers that can hold a gallon of water. I have a pump that I got off Amazon that I use to suck up the runoff. It won’t be a problem for me. It’s just more work every day.

4 Likes

Thanks @MoFo , great advice.

I will source a light meter as you suggest. I will also put a timer on and switch to 18/6.

4 Likes

I tagged you on a thread i made about auto watering and runoff.

3 Likes

I switched to coco a couple years ago and wouldnt grow any other way. Feed every day til runoff keep lights (dLi), temperature and humidity (Vpd) in the zone and you will have some really nice results. Welcome to the forum.

5 Likes

Great thanks @Allinherhead

A complete newbie question: ?run off

3 Likes

Water coming out of the bottom of your pot.

3 Likes