Understanding % ratios

Beginner question for you guys. How do you go about understand % ratios when it comes to making a soil mixture? I’ve been seeing them often online while doing research. Things like adding 10% of something to your mix for example. I’m trying to put together a recipe that I will use in a few months, and I’m just trying to understand how to learn the % ratio aspect. Hope this question makes sense to someone. Didn’t exactly come out like I was hoping.

The way I always do it, which may not even be correct, is say you have 10 ounces of soil/mix, 10% of that is 1 ounce, so add 1 ounce to your mix… I could be wrong, that’s just how I do it…

1 Like

That’s basically how I do it as well, I’m no expert nor am I the most experienced grower because I’m still on my first grow but that’s how I did it

1 Like

3x3x3 feet hole takes about 30 buckets of soil ( 5 gallon buckets)
So 3 buckets is 10 % of the compound when all mixed together…
I dig my holes 3x3x2 that is about 20 buckets…
So 2 buckets of amendment makes 10 %…

I know its a lot of dirt…

1 Like

Awesome. This actually makes sense once it was explained. My mind wasn’t thinking that way… lol. So if I was using a bag of kelp meal, I would add 10% of the bag contents?

This was helpful, thank you!

Take notes on everything you do to make adjustments to future grows easier to fine tune to your particular needs

3 Likes

that is the key @Oldstoner,write it down! either to remember the good mix you made,or not to make the same mistake twice!lol

2 Likes

Start everything as 10L 10G then for a 10% ratio you would have 9 gal dirt 1 gal perolite etc.

2 Likes

hey @ragnar, any chance you would made a thread on how you amend your soil outdoors? I plan on doing it this week and I would love to see how you go about doing it.

I know it would be great for the forum community too, but I personally would love to see how you outdoor guys do it! I’m an indoor guy, so this is a learning experience for me.

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

I will do so and tag you on…

1 Like