Under the microscope: normal plant biology vs eggs?

i got a (really crappy) microscope to check for bugs post broad mite infestation. the tents have been dark for 3 weeks. i have seedlings going and i’m checking for bugs and now see things everywhere. can someone tell me if these are normal? the russet mite eggs look like these but with white dots on them. i don’t think i’m seeing white dots but this scope is bunk and won’t focus any better and the res is poor. i’ve never looked at a normal plant through a microscope before so don’t know what normal looks like. these might be normal resin glands? these are seedlings.

ps i’m trying not to freak out.

1.2 scope2

1.2 scope

1 Like

Kiddos for being vigilant!

My impression is that these are normal glandular trichome heads. Part of my reasoning is the uniform spacing; insects tend to deposit eggs in tight clusters.

1 Like

the russets don’t unfortunately.

do baby seedlings have trichome heads this early?

1 Like

I have noticed a similar number of trichomes on my seedlings, though that dark bit in the second photo looks strange. A bit of dirt, perhaps?

Give me a few minutes and I’ll get a pic or 2 from my current seedlings.

1 Like

ya probably dirt. thanks for checking. i’m over here contemplating burning my house down.

should clarify. you are right, they are clustered, but the cluster IS the single blob. they drop these clear blobs with a bunch of eggs in them. the blobs, from my observation, don’t get clustered together. or if they are, you’re 1000x screwed :slight_smile:

Not the clearest pics, and my magnification isn’t as good as yours, but it is clear that the leaves are already loaded with trichomes.

2 Likes

I’ve seen trichomes on new plants. If you at picture at lights out with a flash, they should show up. It’s not a lot, but enough to count.

2 Likes

thank you thank you thank you thank you. putting my matches away (at least for a few days).

3 Likes

Please don’t burn your house down lol

sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do…