Ultra dark room with air con

Hey.

I have a room that is ultra dark, no light can get in at all. The room has a reverse cycle air con so I can keep the temperature stable.

It is 11.5ft x 11.5ft x 9ft or roughly 3.5 m x 3.5m x 2.5m

I am just starting out and have hardly any money to spare (at the moment anyway).

My thoughts are 2 plants and string up a 400 watt HPS / MH Digital Ballast Reflector over the top and maybe stick a fan next to them.

Then later when i have the $$ I can get a tent and all the other bells & whistles I need.

Will this work ok?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

2 Likes

If it’s that dark, I wouldn’t worry about getting a tent later on. I have my tent wide open and in a room that has plenty of light leaks. I’ve never had a problem doing this. No Hermies…period.

2 Likes

I would go for a 600 w if you can. You’re going to lose a lot of light to the sides so the bigger the light the better. Good luck :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ll second what @Davyg said and add this:

Is the ceiling in your room made of a material you can put staples or thumb tacks into? If so, you might consider buying a roll of reflective mylar and hanging it from the ceiling, making a reflective surface around the sides of your plants.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Horticulture-Highly-Reflective-Mylar/dp/B018VI77QW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=reflective+mylar+roll&qid=1581598164&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFGUktDWE00TlFFUzkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MDc2MjU2M1dYODNDSlhLUkEmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMTAwNTY2NjZCV1NGV0lEWk5NTCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

2 Likes

Also:
The strains you select might effect how big of a space you make, but with a 600 watt lamp, I’d suggest making it 4 feet by 4 feet. Of course, since you would be making your own grow space with the mylar, you could even make it circular if you want.

2 Likes

agree… i took my big tent down and just use the room it was in… so much better this way…

2 Likes

Hey thanks, what a great idea and yep will get the 600.

Perfect, thanks mate.