Ultimate 4x4 led lighting setup

Hi just wondering if I can get some ideas on the absolute ultimate 4x4 flower lighting setup. I’m not too concerned about cost. Currently running 4 plants in a 4x4 under the Kind 750 and find it grows awesome buds but doesn’t quite cut the mustard once they fill the tent and penetration isn’t overly fantastic. I’ve added some samsung 1200mm strips to try and fill in the edges hoping that should pick up the slack for this run. Thinking about setting up another 4x4 for flower keeping the original for a veg tent. What lights should I be looking at for the ultimate flowering tent.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

@dbrn32 Here ya go, he will hook you up!

2 Likes

I run 2 600w hps at 2000k bulbs and have great results i have watched several videos on comparing leds and hps and hps beats most of the leds out there except for the hlg qb and the cree lights I’m saving and buying pieces from timber lighting and looking at 5 288 board from hlg i want to copy what my 2 600w hps do in leds so i can get another 7 inches of height my journal is 6 strains of fun and it looks like i have corn stalks in my 4x4x6 grow tent . Hope this helps you

Which Samsung strips are you running and on what driver? The f series have potential to be as good as anything you can buy.

If I was shopping for a commercially built grow light, I’d probably be comparing everything to the fluence spydr 2 lights or the fixtures from timber. Although there are probably a dozen or so other lights that would be right up there and should easily outperform your light from kind led.

3 Likes

Hi im pretty sure they’re the f series, model number is B8VZ91B20WW they have 2 rows of leds and the driver model is HLG-480H-48A which should be big enough to run 4 strips but I’m currently only running 2 strips beside kind led grow light. Do you think the 4 strips would out perform the kind light

1 Like

Watt for watt thr double row f series will absolutely smoke the kind tech. I think the xl 750 is something like a 420 watt light.

On that driver, I would put 5 of those strips. And it makes for a little better coverage too. You figure you will get most from your driver that way. In terms of ppf, that would put you just a smidge under what typical light build would be for a 4x4. But youd be going from a light that’s like 1.4 umol per watt to a light that’s about 2.5 umols per watt. So ya, pretty significant.

If you do that, leave some space in your frame. You could drop another 50-100 watts of something on a smaller driver later if you want a little more. And just out of curiosity, what are you using for heatsink on the strips, 2.079 from heatsink usa?

2 Likes

Do you think surrounding the perimeter of the tent with the 4 strips slightly angled inwards and running the kind led in the centre would be a good combo? The samsung strips are mounted to alluminium angle cut to suit, they get pretty hot but from what I’ve read plants have better transpiration rate under LEDs at around the 30 degree mark (still experimenting with temps)

That heat will also hamper performance of leds, and potentially shorten lifespan quite a bit. You should really get them on adequate heatsink material. That profile I mentioned above should be plenty good, and you can mount them using 40mm double sided thermal transfer tape.

I think what you’re asking for will work, but not alleviate the heat issue on your strips. If you’re going to order 2 more strips and 4 pieces of heatsink, it’s not really that much more to get a 5th strip and extra piece of heatsink. In which case youd probably have a 500+ watt light that’s running something like 40% more efficient than your kind light at lower power. There would be no reason at all to have your kind light in there, it would be in the way of light doing all the work more or less. You’re looking at doubling your par levels anyway.

4 Likes

Where would I find heatsink to suit these strips as they’re approx 40mm wide. The stuff on ebay doesn’t look wide enough and doesn’t seem like it would offer any more cooling than the current piece of angle they’re mounted too.
Cheers

This is the one he’s talking about. You order it by the inch. So for the 1160mm strips it needs to be at least 46" long each. Depending on how you mount them maybe longer.

1 Like