Types of Training

I’m rapidly approaching the time where I am planning to top my plants in an attempt to SCRoG. I’m planning to top at the third node. Once the new growth occurs, I will begin performing LST and topping again once the plant is ready. So on and so forth. I am looking for any and all input about the method I’m choosing to go with. I’m using 5 Gallon Smart pots with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. Lighting is a Spider a Farmer SF 4000 in a 5x5x7 tent.

1 Like

Scrogging in a 5gal pot isn’t going to work for you. Mainly because the plant will be come root bound by the time the scrog net is filled. I would suggest at least a 7gal but a 10gal is your best bet.

There are several ways to go about scrogging so it can be done a handful of ways. You can either train as the plant grows. Or you can top it, let it grow vertically some and then supercrop the branches down to the net. @Not2SureYet is a good guy for scrog advice

1 Like

Thanks @imSICKkid :grin: I use 5 gallon pots for my autos. Good for 12oz plants so far. For photos. I use 7 gallon pots.Both are solid packed roots when I am done. I have done a 9 oz plant in a 3 gallon before. So know there is some wiggle room in there. I grow in coco. How big your scrog is will be a factor too. I use a 2x2 or 2x4 top. I just finished this photo a few plants back. it was in a 5 gallon pot and a 2x4 scrog. Just to give you an idea. For me. I find I am better of going a little smaller than larger for pots. I have not gotten any better yields in a 10 gallon vs 5 so far. If you are going to go with a larger scrog than I use. I would go with a bigger ot for sure though :grin:

1 Like

@imSICKkid

I think I’m just going to go with topping the plants and letting them grow for this grow. I’ve got 8 plants in a 5x5 and from the looks of it, there’s no way in hell I’d ever be able to SCRoG now, maybe in the future. So if I’m not scrogging and only topping, would just using LST to maintain an even canopy be my best bet?

1 Like