Type of water to fill hydroponic DWC reservoir

I have well water at my house and I’m not sure about using it for my hydro. I thought about just running it through a filter and using it. I also thought about using distilled water. Out of these two which one would be the best ? Or if anyone has a better way than these two ways, please let me know. I greatly appreciate it.

2 Likes

RO water is typically used,Distilled water could be used but that would be costly. I would just use your well water if the ppm isn’t high.

1 Like

What about rain water or normal tape water

2 Likes

Fill a cup with the water and check the pH and ppms of that water u want to use. If not bad run with it. If it is tap water and contains chlorine I use API stress coat and that removes chlorine and chloramine from the water and makes it safe for fish to breath and ingest so far it has no I’ll effects on plants I grow and use it in. Makes a huge difference in the waters smell as it will smell of bleach kinda out the tap and a pump of API in it and there is no smell at all. Don’t raise the ppms up at all really as I use like 10 to 15 ml in a five gal.bucket of water.

3 Likes

Our rain is brown so I don’t use rain water no more. Its pretty nasty looking.

1 Like

I use a $20 RV camper filter and screw it onto my water hose. Its not as good as reverse osmosis RO, or distilled, but ppm out is like 50 and $20 vs whatever seems a reasonable expense. I change them once a month.

2 Likes

Oh ok thats not good at all

2 Likes

@Hillbilly420 Most will use RO water or distilled water but you can use tap or well water but you loose control of what nutrients your plants get and you can get mineral build up in your pumps.
I have been using the ZERO water filter for my grows for nearly 2 years now and it works for me. I buy in bulk to get price to $10 per filter and I can get around 15 gallons of my tap thru it before it is done.

2 Likes

I use a PUR water filter and it works just fine. It takes out brown water to clear like it should be. Downside living in a municipality in Texas. The Texas Water Board has no control over municipality water companies.

If they want to charge $10,574.75 per gallon they can and it would be legal.

I have had orange paint flecks in our water. I have seen other colored paint chips and metal fragments once in a awhile. I wish I was joking but I’m not.

1 Like

Mined telling me what API stress coat is?@Mark0247

I use my well water ph’ed to 5.8. I used to use RO water; in my case there is no real difference except I don’t have to pay and cart it around.

I don’t filter it.

My last crop.

3 Likes

I thought about using the water out of my dehumidifier. Which is like distilled water.

1 Like

My well water runs around 6.8. I haven’t checked the ppm in it. Which I will here in the next little bit…. Those are some hell of a plants brother. That’s what I’m out to achieve at the moment. If you don’t mind, I might have to ask you a few more questions down the line.

1 Like

I was afraid of the build up on the pumps and lines where I have hard water. I think I’ll do like you and run it through a filter. I’m getting ready to start it up my plants are a week old now and I’m trying to get everything lined out before I set my plants in their baskets. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Of course. If I can help I will.

On another note. I wouldn’t recommend you use the dehumidifier water. Those things are notorious for growing all types of nasties. Mold, mildew, bacteria, etc… you wanna keep that crap out of there.

If you are real worried about ur water, (do you think it is contaminated? )go here.

They will test ur water on the cheep.

But honestly, Id use your well water. Treat it no differently than using RO water, or distilled.
Your plants, your call.

Happy growing.

2 Likes

Great point man, I did not think about all the bacteria and all the nasty junk the dehumidifier collects from the air. That would not be a wise choice. Thank you Brother!

1 Like

What’s the correct range ppm for a seedling in hydro?

Depends. Some go full nute concentration of 900 - 1300, some start off at 100-200 and work their way up.

There is not a cut and dry answer.

But I’m sure your nute manufacturer has a recommendation.

1 Like

How are you Brother? I come to you today with another question. I have God Father OG in DWC 5 gallon bucket’s. I want my plants around 2 1/2 feet above my scrog netting. To achieve around 2 1/2 feet above net what size should I let the plant get above the net before flipping into flower.

1 Like

I set my first net at 18 inches and second at 32 inches…So in veg I switch to flower under the following conditions…18 inch tall or 6 weeks old…which ever occurs first…so at 18 and if she only stretches 1 time she could be 36 inch at final…is this what you are looking for?

1 Like