Type of pots/containers to use!

I had some freshly started spouts that looked awful, got burnt by light to close. Rather than scarp them all I put them all in a clear Rubbermaid tote I had. They all recovered and are thriving (nothing to do with the container). But what I do like is with a clear Rubbermaid I can see the roots and moisture level in the soil! This is very helpful for a beginner grower. I wish all my plants were in transparent containers to watch for root rot and it’s easy to see the moisture leve in the soil.

As recently pointed out to me white roots do not like light. I suggest that you place your clear container inside another solid color container black if possible. I’m sure you put plenty of drainage holes in it :+1:
And welcome to the forum. :hugs:

4 Likes

I did put drain holes. But wasn’t aware white roots don’t like light. Well I though I found a nice hack :joy:

1 Like

I was just about to say this. Yes I’ve read that it can really disturb their growth.

I’m a beginner too and here’s my topic starting with my gals roots showing :blush:

3 Likes

The light will actually burn the roots and cause you all sorts of issues. Like @SmoknGranny recommended try to find a colored container and put clear container in it or simply paint the outside if the clear one a solid color

2 Likes

If you can’t find a color container and would still like to be able to keep an eye on things paint all but a strip and tape cardboard over it like a site glass that way 95% is always covered and the other 5 you can keep covered except to visually take a peek now and then

2 Likes

Always helpful when we I can just read through someone’s topic of the same situation. :sunglasses: thanks for the share!

1 Like

Glad to be of help. :hugs:

1 Like

I use transparent beer cups so I can see the roots develop, but then put those cups in red beer cups so they don’t get light damaged. Works great. Make holes at the bottom that line up so they drain.

1 Like

I appreciate you letting me know about white roots not liking light. While I was putting duct tape around the transparent Rubbermaid I noticed the roots have started growing back up. It’s a 30 gal tote I had 6 struggling plants that I put in there (I thought maybe 1 or 2 might survive). I guess I’m lucky to have the problem I do. All 6 made a strong recovery (different soil). Now I have 6 plants with intertwined roots that reached the bottom and have started growing back up (looking for more space?). Although the situation is not ideal. They are very healthy and growing quickly. I’m getting close to be done with the vegetative stage. What problems/challenges am I about to face? What’s done is done. How can I make the best of my situation?

1 Like

Oh my. I’m not sure what to tell you🤔 Are they photos or autos? My sassy is a photo and she’s in a 20 gallon tote

by herself. I’m calling in some more experienced folks to advise you @Countryboyjvd1971 @Myfriendis410 @Donaldj @garrigan62 and let’s see what @highcountrygal thinks as well :blush:

Well you are going to have some trouble with intertwined roots; more vigorous plants will suck nutes from the others. If they aren’t autos you might think about separating some of them out. I think it was @Wishingilivedina420state may have done this; separating two plants?

Every plant will have slightly different demands and it makes it tough to nearly impossible to deal with an issue on one plant when there are five more going to be affected.

2 Likes

Lol , I’d forgot about that experience @Myfriendis410 . It was hell trying to keep it watered after the roots got to big. And taking them apart wasn’t to much fun either.
And your right @Myfriendis410 each plant being different causes a ton more problems. I remember the reason I had to separate was that one plant was taking over.

While it was a good learning experience I wouldn’t ever recommend someone trying it. It’s just not worth the hassle as your yeild will suffer greatly.

2 Likes