Type of CFLs and difference between them

That particular 4 way looks like it’s 3- y adapters put together. I think they’re available in plastic or ceramic. The plastic ones are usually available at most hardware and home improvement stores for a few bucks each.

One thing to keep in mind when buying or using Cfl’s is there actual watts. There a big difference between a 100 watt replacement and a 100 watt grow bulb, like 80 watts usually.

Several different configurations of multiple bulb fixtures like this are available on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CXW85V8/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?tag=greenrel-20

1 Like

Thanks. I saw that. IF I can get my grow closet put together (22"x34"), one plant, I’m thinking of just trying a dual or just one Vintage LED (also on Amazon)…opinions welcome :blush:

1 Like

Those are all individual splitters I just took one y and added a Y to each socket input and that gave me 4. I got the y’s on ebay for like $8 for 7 and I had originally paid $3 for one from the big box store.

You can make yous as I did or look on ebay they actually sell a 4 or 5 bulb fixture.

1 Like

Im in Southern Cali

1 Like

Thanks. Dang gum old cataracts. It’s getting harder and harder looking at pics on the phone. :eyes:

1 Like

Do you know if it generates a lot of heat? Whats actual wattage? Im gonna make a recommendation to you. The plant I grew with 4 23w (actual watt) had a nice yield for a first grow. It gave me enough that I could actually share it. The only down fall to growing with these low wattage bulbs is it took longer then a standard grow with proper equipment. So, if you can wait 5 or 6 months for your harvest this will work. If you want something faster invest in grow CFL’s still cheap but you can put 2 100w bulbs and harvest quicker.

1 Like

I don’t know how to post it here from Amazon :cry: But it’s description says low heat and is good for vegetation and bloom. 12w, 24w and higher

2 Likes

@BudBuddy

Nice dude! I’m in SoCal myself!!

where abouts socal? im by gilman springs

@BudBuddy

I’m in the Riverside area

oh cool that’s pretty close. Im always in Moval

Hi rodri59, I just started my first grow with CFLs and still having a heat problem. I’m using 8 common 23 watt bulbs (6500k) for now, but the plants are babies. I’ve got one of those 4-way splitter sockets with more splitters, for 8 bulbs total. This heat wave has slowed their growth I believe, but there’s only so much I can do until it passes, and even then it’s going to be warmer than optimal. The tomato plants in back are doing well but the 2 white widows may take longer. I’m keeping the tent flaps open with 2 fans running.ww3

1 Like

Thanks for the input @Grandma. Interesting about the heat issue. I always thought CFL’s didn’t give off heat? Ugh. Well I ordered a bunch of them with the 2 way splitter like you have. I also ordered an equal number of LED’s (supposed grow lights) so I will experiment and see what happens. All I know is I need more light but I don’t need any more heat in that room.

2 Likes

Hi @Grandma, based on your picture you can probably remove a few of your bulbs at this point, and see if that helps with your temps. You’ll eventually want to add them back in, but 4 should be plenty for seedlings.

2 Likes

They do give off some heat but still cooler than most bulbs except LED. Which I probably should look into as well. Looking forward to your experiment, I wasn’t sure if I could use CFL and LED both.

Thank you, dbm32. I took off 4 of the bulbs for now, so fingers crossed they’ll do better and start growing.

1 Like

I think they’ll do fine. Plenty of people use less and have successful grows. When you get to flowering you’ll want as much light as you can comfortably keep. Typically, the more light you can run will result in higher bud development and density. But it would probably be better to sacrifice a little yeild that risk your entire grow.

2 Likes

@rodri59 I am using 4 100w daylight CFL’s(6500k) and 2 60w LED(3000k) bulbs for two plants. I don’t really find they produce much heat.

2 Likes

@BobD1 Thanks Bob! We are just about ready to get them up and running so fingers crossed!! :crazy_face:

1 Like