Tylersays - First Grow w/ First Grow 2.0 Featuring the A-U-T-O-matic Experience

Probably not feminized. Most breeders actively avoid feminized seeds for their own grows and dispensary growing. Feminized seeds seem to be aimed largely at the home-grower or the busy AF hobbyist-turned-commercial grower. They always come with a massive $$$ markup which is interesting because the resulting bud is, theoretically, a bit inferior. Not sure if that’s actually true, but it’s bro-lore for sure.

@Tylersays , love that sea of green :sunglasses::sunglasses::clap::clap::clap::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:, is that 12 plants in a 5x5

2 Likes

12 in a 2x4 @KoolHandLuke ! LOL!
I started them off with the intention of finishing them in a 2.3x2.3. LOL!
Had plenty of light but was worried about rot and PWM so I moved them over to the 2x4.
I think I could get away with 9 in the smaller tent or 6 and just train them out a little more.
This grow was a couple of weeks to get roots, a 3 and a half week veg, and I’m at like week 9-10 from the flip. The 20th will be 10 weeks since the flip exactly.

@Graysin - What I figured. Maybe I’ll try my luck with a few, considerably cheaper, bag seeds first! LOL!

Can’t say I’ve heard or read that a feminized seed is “less” anything over a regular seed. I do believe that autos can be inferior to photos as far as THC goes. The breeding process for a auto involves introducing the Ruderalis strain to get the auto properties and ruderalis is extremely low in THC. So I can see how that might bring down the % based on how strong the presence of those genes is.
These flower growers spend years developing and crossing strains to get the results they want and most of them are actual scientist! How many of these weed seed breeders actually have a degree in plant biology? Just something I wonder about.
I can stick two plants together and come up with a catchy name! Like Taylor Swift does with music and lyrics. Doesn’t mean my stuff is gonna be any good either. :rofl:

4 Likes

@Tylersays your plants are looking amazing as always.

1 Like

Confirmation of what you are doing. I know I need to bust out the screens and do some sifting and get more Everclear

3 Likes

I believe your assessment is spot on.

1 Like

They have feminized seeds and you get 2 choose autos feminized or reg

2 Likes

Why would you choose regular? Is it the belief that regular seeds are better or more potent, or to breed different strains yourself? Honest question, as I can’t imagine real breeders actually troll the seed banks looking for stock. Keeping in mind it’s more than probable I haven’t the vaguest idea what’s really going on out there.

1 Like

I’m gonna go to their website and check it out.

They’ve changed our forecast and downgraded the snow totals, but upped the ice totals.
Apparently the dividing line is shifting westward. Bummer! I wanted the snow!
I’m still gonna plug up that drone and let it charge up. The ice coating can be really beautiful - if I get up early enough to catch it! LOL!

@DrWoo - the only thing I can think of is maybe viability for producing mothers and clones?
Big commercial grows pretty much all use clones to have easier control over the grow. The clones give you much more uniform growth rates, size, etc.
I shy away from regular seeds simply for the reduced chance of wasting time and effort on an unusable plant. Although, back in the 90s High Times magazine, when it was actually a force in the industry and delivered discretely to your door monthly, they used to swear the way a seed is treated in the earliest stages of growth could influence the sex of the plant. The more optimal the treatment, the higher the chance of it being female. Abuse and shoddy treatment equals female.
Who knows?! LOL!

1 Like

What does this mean man? Have you had email contact with them? Is this program still running?
I’m confused! Not difficult since I’m breathing in all this Diesel of New York! LOL!

I was pretty much ready to sign up! I was looking for the wallet! LOL!

edit: I filled out the form and submitted it!

1 Like

Yes it is brother Google ethos multipass and you can sign up and they will get in contact with you lol.

Reg seeds don’t herm when u get a female and they grow quicker in my opinion

2 Likes

I had regular seeds herm on me back in the day!
i 've read that you can force a female to herm through mistreatment but I’ve never heard a regular seed can’t herm!

That’s 2 things today I’ve heard for the first time! LOL!
Now I really hope I’m stuck in tomorrow so I can do some research! LOL!

1 Like

Well shit! i didn’t put the sentence from the site up there before LOL!
But after I re-read it I realized it says Level 1 tiers 1-4 are closed. This is for Level 2 So I guess we’re good! LOL!

1 Like

Yes sir level 2. For them to herm you really got be messing with light a that point. It do sucks to wait 6 plus weeks for sex to be shown

3 Likes

Farmer Freeman. That’s all I got for ya. I know my Tester 1 is a lady and Tester 2 is a male. I was gonna squash Tester 2 but I decided to keep him for another pollen factory.

3 Likes

In Rosenthal’s Growing Bible he says you can take a cutting and more or less put it straight into 12/12 and it’ll show you the sex in a week or so. I do remember reading that in the past also. In the days before feminized seeds.
I went through all this in the 90s! LOL!
The tech was considerably different, but those guys got us to where we are now.
Most of the techniques are similar but have obviously been tweaked over the years.
It’s amazing the innovation commercialization brings.

2 Likes

@Tylersays Lab tests, bb. $15 a pop but worth the money.

3 Likes

Cutting and strip light - already here! LOL! Zero shipping time!

Although the cutting method is slower I imagine.
If it’s a male though it should show pretty quickly. In that case the longer it takes the better the possibility of female. And see with the testing method you’re out another $15 to find out you already wasted time and money! LOL!
I’m not cheap - I’m thrifty! :rofl:

2 Likes

Zero shipping time but you’re assuming the isolated branch is mature enough to show sex. I’m not convinced that it is as early as being able to remove one of the first true leaves. You have to subject it to 12/12 until it’s ready to show sex. That’s easily 7-14 days if not more

I don’t agree. I’ve had males take longer to mature than females.

Yessir but I didn’t waste 4-6 weeks of light, nutrients, and my personal energy defoliating, training, and most importantly I didn’t waste precious tent space. It’s a month to two months I don’t have to waste for the low price of $15 - valuable trade to me.

I am cheap :rofl:

2 Likes

All the reasons I buy feminized! LOL!

2 Likes