Tx hill country growing

Hello I am just wondering if there is anyone around my area that might be able to help me with the all too well known South Texas heat. The property that I am on has a 6x12 greenhouse with a center peak of about 7ft. Also have 2 tents and one is about to have the AK47 that was laid down 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for reading and happy growing

3 Likes

Not sure what end of TX you are talking about east is hot and muggy west is hot desert dry

2 Likes

I am more south in the middle north of San Antonio and south of Austin.

1 Like

So that’s the middle where you have mixed some month dry and others are humid and no real winter? Am I right or can you tell me so I can try to help. Then the tents are they in the house?

2 Likes

High 90s to 105 may Thur aug. humidity is high enough to eat. Only a handful of nights in the 30’s spread out through nov thru feb the days range from 80s to 50s during those months. I have had 2 semi successful indoor grows and I flowered 1 girl out in the greenhouse at the end of summer but had to add secondary lighting. I’m currently trying to convert a new shed on the property. I run a small heater at night to keep it between 65 & 70. I’m also running the lights at night to keep the temp swings as minimal as possible. However with may coming up quickly I need to do something and fast. I’m starting to dry run the electrical and then I plan on 1.5 inch styrofoam foil covered insulation. Keeping a 1.75 inch air gap between the walls and insulation. I have heating and ac but I have to seal up the shed. Inside the shed I have 2 tents a 4x4x7 and a 4x8x6. I’m only using the 4x4 currently. Will fire up the 4x8 when the ak47 is ready to go in.

1 Like

The humidity is the big one but airflow is the key for inside your tents. For a shed type building you have the right idea with insulation and lots of it. I would add a good sized dehumidifier to help your AC out especially during flower but other than that it sounds like you have it under control. As long as you can keep the shed temperature in check the tents will be just good exhaust and intake fans to keep replacing the air in them

1 Like

I’m in Austin area. I’ll pray for you haha! It’s hot here in the summer.

1 Like

@Breezy I’m right down the road just south of New Braunfels. I did a grow in the garage towards the end of last summer and I barely made it. Struggled to keep temps under 85 even running an ac. Made the whole damn house smell magnificent if you ask me but my wife strongly disagrees lol. My second attempt was in a upstairs bathroom and it went rather well. Unfortunately I don’t have an extra room in the house anymore but I do have a very solid well constructed 12 x 16 shed. It’s working great for the winter but you know. Hopefully I get it all insulated before the summer time hits.

@MeEasy the unit that I have to do the heat and ac is a portable unit on wheels. If you want heat you turn it around and it blows the cold out and â– â– â– â–  versa for cold. It also has a dehumidification feature and I will say it did work well on my 2nd grow. I was thinking about one exhaust in the high point of the ceiling with a large inline carbon filter. Possibly 2 smaller dryer type vents down low hooked up to maybe 4 inch fans for fresh air intake if needed they could be ported into each tent.

Does “fresh air” have higher co2? I’m assuming so and would like to also have the option to cut the heat and ac when temperatures allow for it.

2 Likes

@KeystoneCops this was my original post I ever made I am going to utilize this for the design and build of my room @dbrn32 is that ok? I just want to make sure that I am ok in my thought or do I need to start a new thread for it. Thank you in advance

1 Like

So the outside dimensions of my current shed is as listed above. I’m currently building it out while trying to garden. I have been observing for almost a year and found that all the walls and roof get beat with hot sun. So to combat I used the 3/4 inch foil covered styrofoam and cut it to fit between all studs on the roof and the 3 walls that the sun hits. Foil side out. I used some spacers to make a 3/4 inch air gap between it and the outer walls and ceiling.

I used faced R-15 insulation on the wall that the sun does not hit. I then decided that I will go directly behind the styrofoam with R-11 insulation. I will do the first 4 ft of each side of the ceiling the exact same as it is slightly vaulted.

The center 4 ft of the ceiling will have R-30 insulation and will also act as the main cable tray for all electric ran.

I will have my own service panel set inside the room that will run from my main 220 panel.

I will have a ceiling fan in the center of the room with a light I will have my tv and my portable heater ac dehumidifier combo that really works as my tent cooler.

My plans are endless and they can all be changed as I’m in the building stage.

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated even constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thank You

3 Likes

Much respect neighbor… they have a hydroponic shop close to you

1 Like

Visited a while ago lol wish they would allow me to build a shed in my backyard I’d definitely build one but HOA is not about any changes to the landscape

1 Like

Grow related stuff is fine here

1 Like

Inside my shed I have a 4x4x7 in one corner and a 4x8x6 in an adjacent corner. I am going to have a dedicated breaker for each 4x4 space that will have 4 outlets. I’m running a 4” exhaust fan on the 4x4 and a 6” running in the 4x8. My portable ac has a contraption that I made and it has 3 4” ports on it one goes to the room and the other two go to the tents. I tried 2 holes but created too much back pressure so 3 holes it is. After the electric is ran hopefully tomorrow. I can finish the insulation and hang the plastic. Then install mold resistant drywall and some vinyl roll flooring. I am running a dedicated breaker just for the ac unit and I’m running a outlet dedicated for the future addition of a mini split to climate control the room. I’m thinking about what I am going to call double scrub the air in the room. What I mean by that is the tents are filters and I am thinking about adding a decent exhaust fan for the room itself. @anon4427090 has shown me a way to make my own filters and that really got me thinking and @KeystoneCops you have knowledge of mini splits and things of that nature so I really would love your opinion as well. I want to do it right and do it once. So back to double scrubbing I’m between a 8” or 10” ac infinity for these reasons I don’t want to loose my ac or heat but I do want to loose stale air. To filter that ac infinity I’m thinking about putting in a tee double 4 or 6 inch filters with maybe something like corigated pipe over with some hole drilled in it in specific directions as I don’t really think I want a draft. So the thought of double filters with some kind of exhaust mellow outer. My plan for fresh air intake is a 4 inch with a dryer vent and necking it down to a 2 inch pvc and running it around the inside perimeter of my tents with holes drilled in specific locations to deliver the fresh air directly to the plants. I only plan to run intake and exhaust twice since I run lights at night I will run them when most people are not outside. The shed when finished will be a very cushy man cave for myself. I have so many more ideas but I need someone with logic as I’m getting starry eyed!!!

Most importantly I don’t want to break the bank on any of this.

What shop if you don’t mind my asking??

Thank you I believe that this is 100% grow related and I will try my hardest to keep others from making it not. I appreciate your response and please if I am doing something wrong please please please let me know. I don’t want to be that guy.

1 Like

What did you cost?? Lol sorry

Sorry I’m not an artist but I’m thinking this for the final exhaust for the room.

@MeEasy the tents are in a climate controlled shed I’m currently trying to keep the shed between 64 and 75 degrees my humidity is normally around 45 to 50 until I water and it will go up to maybe 65 high side. I have found a way to keep the temps lower in the tents than the room which satisfies all parties involved. Me and the girls lol. I think that my biggest key is finish insulation and seal with heavy plastic before putting up drywall and putting down flooring. I could see a stand-alone dehumidifier in my future but I also see a possible mini split maybe a 3/4 ton. I have made the plans to run the electric for it. Until I get it I will use it to run the portable unit.

1 Like

New Braunfels Hydroponics lol

1 Like