Two weeks into using medical Marijuana for back pain, insomnia & depression

I started using medical Marijuana to hopefully help my chronic and severe back pain (I’m fused from T3, just below the neck/shoulder line, to S1, which is where the spine connects to the pelvis,) for just over two weeks now.

I started out by picking up a variety of different strains to see if I could find one or two that helped. I got an eighth of Recon, Platinum Kush, Blue Cookies, Wedding Poop as well as pre-rolls of Triple Diesel, Jim Kelly, Gorilla Glue #4, a blue dream vape cartridge and a package of citrus gummie edibles.

Well, I’ve discovered something that I never remember being an issue before now, and that is that I’m a lightweight! I got a nice Freeze-Pipe bubbler, but have only used it a couple times as it’s not worth the hassle of pulling it out and setting it up for a single puff or two, so I picked up a few glass one hitters and mostly use them, as that’s about enough for me, although I’ll often take a gummie shortly before I lay down, and occasionally a hit or two from the blue dream vape if I’m up for awhile after smoking the one hitter.

One other thing I noticed the very first night was there’s a huge difference between toking up with a couple buddies when you’re in your teens, and smoking up alone, late at night, in the hope of getting some sleep. It was so much more fun back in the day for some reason.

Seriously though, it seems to be helping, although it’s sort of too soon to say for sure. I have realized something important as well, up until now I’ve mainly just wanted something that would reduce the constant pain, but cannabis also allows me the option to treat my pain when it’s at it’s worst, which is option no other med he’s tried me on gave me.

Sure, it might mean I’m so high I can’t walk, but as I said at least it’s an option, and after years of my pain being completely uncontrolled, I can’t stress enough, how important even short breaks like this can be when living with chronic pain.

19 Likes

Wait, there’s “Jim Kelly” weed?? I must grow this, and Blue Cheese, and then swan dive onto a table, to prove myself as a true Bills Mafia.

The word “cannabis” comes from the Greek word “kannabis”, meaning, “cannabis”. It was known then as a medicine. The bullshit prohibition is a recent development.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure where they got it, as I know of. A couple grow companies on the reservation, but there’s surely far more, and it likely comes from one of them.

I’m not really in the positive to give many info on it, other than the fact, I had been in a couple tiny buildings selling weed, for probably 20-30 minutes, sure when I first went in the room smelled a bit of weed, but I was used to it instantly, but about 2 seconds after she opened the large mason jar of Jim Kelly I could smell it across the room :rofl:

1 Like

Couple of pointers for you…

1. Same strain of weed can have different effects for different people. It’s intelligent to do your research and see what helps other people with similar ailments, but if you’re not having luck don’t be afraid to stray a little.

2. Indica strains are most likely to help you sleep. When you say blue dream keeps you up a while, thats usually associated with being a sativa or sativa hybrid, like blue dream is. A lot of people will prefer to use stuff like this during the day. Then switch to indica strain to wind down in the evening.

3. You may want to check out strains that we typically refer to as 50/50 or 1:1. This means the ratio of thc to cbd is fairly similar. A lot of times these will have more medicinal qualities and still get you feeling pretty good without being high as a kite.

4. Don’t get frustrated and give up if you have trouble finding exactly what you’re looking for. A small shift in terpene profile can have a huge impact on individual experience.

Hopefully you can find the relief you’re looking for!

13 Likes

Hi i know how you feel its so frustrating to have a back problems i have three disc bulges in my lower back and i have arthritis and i have another condition where i get a disc slip over the top of the one underneath it plus i jave two disc bulges in my neck aswell so i know where ur coming from i grew a moby dick auto and a white widow auto and found these strains are great for pain and sleep ,im currently smokong the white widow in a another month i will be smoking girl scout cookies auto to see how it goes with back pain .but i would give white widow and moby dick strains ago and see how u feel

5 Likes

Gg4 is my goto for edibles. Sedative/pain relief. I am positive edibles will do you better than smoking. Lasts longer. More predictable. Less “high” and more relief. Gg4 is just my fav. Edibles in general work better for me.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I have to use opiates for pain. Cannabis just doesn’t get the job done. Weed knocks me out, so I only use weed as sleep medicine and for winding down in the evening.

I suffered major depression between 2013 and 2019. I was taking venlafaxine (Effexor.) I had cycled through 5 different antidepressants before landing on venlafaxine. I weaned off the venlafaxine and replaced it with psilocybin microdosing. Microdosing has been a miracle for the depression. It is very effective.

6 Likes

Sounds horrific Tessa! Must live in constant pain with all those back/neck issues

1 Like

110% FACTS right there :point_up: i use to share alot with some of our “Boys”

3 Likes

I have my good days and bad but fresh herb fixes most things

3 Likes

@StarKiller @yoshi brother I feel your pain I have a failed fusion L-3 to S-1 over the years I had taken everything. Weed works! For this I do daily FECO oil I made, Because I can clean,cook,do housework I am happy to be moving. When I went in for surgery Doc said 80% not walking again,20% walking. Other surgires but I am alive thank GOD live with a deep living woman my 2nd marriage 1st wife passed away 2010 Jan.26th. Thank you for sharing welcome to a green grow group

3 Likes

I am so happy that you are finding some pain relief with a natural remedy. I have ADHD, depression, and anxiety. When the pandemic hit and we were all locked down that’s how my hobby and growing began. It’s now a therapy, if you will, for me to grow, learn, experiment, and enjoy.

5 Likes

Don’t forget you can also mix strains , half the time they hit with 2 highs simultaneously , the other half they merge to a totally new high that hits you extra hard. I found Durban poison to take the edge off of pain well, and skywalker og and purple punch are excellent anti depressants

5 Likes

@yoshi @Aussie_autos @GreenSnek Hoping to do two strains at once for smoking. We have Skittles and Western Grail I do mix but its a minty taste. The high is ok In the tent we have 5 different plants 5 different strains. Also hoping to clone so when they get big enough.

2 Likes

When i have a smoke i mix the white widow bud with oil and keif on cone or joint is more then enough

3 Likes