Twelve1's Journal: Learning to LST with White Widow Autos, and first run with Grow Dots

Can you smell what 3M is cooking???

7 Likes

And now I’m crying laughing all over again. Team UHST!

3 Likes

:heart:
Outta likes, thanks to y’alls. :heart_eyes: :hugs:

3 Likes

@Twelve1 Here is substitute like :heart: because I am fresh out.

4 Likes

And here’s some more love:

5 Likes

A short big ago my Likes were refreshed, but still -

4 Likes

I just did some LST adjustments on Jedi. That girl is vigorous and flexible, LOL. But phew, it was easy enough to bend her and to know what direction to go, but knowing the right tool to use was frustrating, and it’s a miracle that I didn’t break a branch or two.

At first I used a pipe cleaner, which turned out well, but it was kinda tight and I didn’t want her damaged. So then, I tried the garden wire and it wasn’t a good solution, since it was slipping. Then I staked, which is what I ended up with, but it took three tries to get it right.

Well, crafting experience and small hands have paid off, I think, but I admit I was grumbling to myself quite a bit. Poor Jedi had to hear all that, but I think she’s just glad that I didn’t employ any UHST.

I adjusted/tightened Marie just a bit, but nothing worth posting pics.

Do you think that the wire stake is OK where it’s at? After there’s more room in there, should I replace it with garden wire?

Do you have suggestions for thicker pipe cleaners? Mine are cheap and thin.

How do you guys with big man hands do this? :thinking: :crazy_face:

Thanks for taking a look!

9 Likes

Very well done! :clap: :star_struck:

1 Like

Honestly, what I’ve used most so far is good old butcher’s string. But I can’t do what when she’s that little - so I laid her out and used the wire. I worry that pipe cleaners could rust with ongoing exposure to moisture.

2 Likes

I hear ya. I vetted my craft wire before using it for staking. Folks do use pipe cleaners to LST, so I suppose it should be fine. Bill Ward, who has some LST videos on YouTube, uses pipe cleaners, but I don’t know what kind. I could ask in the comments section.

2 Likes

I’ll have to give him a look.

I’m sitting here waiting for 10 PM which is wake-up time so I can check on JP.

3 Likes

That’s right, you’re now 3 hours of ahead.
My girls went to bed about 50 minutes ago, although they get sleepy an hour or so beforehand.

3 Likes

Imo, the metal wires don’t matter much… just think about the “tomato” cage we sometimes use… it’s not pretty, but it works. :nerd_face:

The issue would be more with the thickness of your wires. If it’s too thin, it will dig in the stem when the plant grows and might cut it open. You need something thick enough that will not cut as easily…
And when I train my girls, I don’t over tighten the bounds, I leave a little bit of room for the stem to grow… :bulb:

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly. Do you use pipe cleaners at all?

1 Like

My girls go to bed and get up 3 times a day. Plant calisthenics, if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

No, but I would if I had to. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Here’s a link to some “thicker” pipe cleaners. https://www.amazon.com/Colorations-TPIP-Thick-Pipe-Cleaners/dp/B01HZMOME0

2 Likes

As long as you’re shopping… :crazy_face:

I use this!

5 Likes

Thanks! LOL, the one pic in the review section is of 9 mj plants, woo hoo. :slight_smile: It looks like it “might” be a bit thinner than what I bought; if so, then it would be easier to use on the new growth areas. This is what I bought last year:

2 Likes

I have some of that thickness… I use it to loosely wrap around a branch I want to work on. Then I just bend the wire, not the branch, in the direction I want the branch to go… :nerd_face:

2 Likes