Twelve1's Journal: Learning to LST with White Widow Autos, and first run with Grow Dots

Well yay, I looked at Jedi’s trichomes this evening and was pleased to see cloudy with a few light amber! (yes, I look at the buds, not the sugar leaves :slightly_smiling_face: ) Always a happy day when harvest day is coming soon, despite thoroughly enjoying the grow … I know you guys understand. Jedi’s biggest/tallest bud has begun foxtailing a bit, and Marie’s pistils are speeding up on turning orange. Today is day 88 since sprouting, for both of them.

I’ll look at Slow Marie’s on Wednesday; while she won’t be as far along, it will give me a better idea of about when to harvest, in 1-2 weeks. My plan is to chop them both at the same time, and I’m totally good with Marie not being as mature, as I can also use less maturity, too, haha. :crazy_face:

7 Likes

This morning.
Marie:

Jedi:

And then this happened:

Soon, I’m going to spread them out a bit more.

So yesterday I tested a bottom piece of bud from the slower plant, Marie = :sunglasses: :+1: That, plus more favorable weather for drying within the next few days = chop day. :partying_face:

A lesson learned is to ensure earlier on that buds aren’t growing too close together. I “knew” that, but being my first time doing LST, that kinda wasn’t 100%. No bud rot, no wpm = no harm, no foul, but the bottoms of some of interior buds, especially on Jedi are pale like this
:grimacing::

Thanks to everyone who has followed and helped with this journey of my first plant training, as well as trying Grow Dots!

Going forward, my tentative plan is to top and spread out branches, instead of strict LST, at least the way I did it. I found that the topping and branch spreading to be much less stressful on ME, lol, and the plant didn’t seem to mind. Also, the structure of the plant was more open, which allowed for better air and light penetration. Perhaps yields are a bit less with topping, but that’s totally fine with me, and it’s still much better than Christmas trees. :no_entry_sign: :christmas_tree:

Next, a Sativa Summer! I’ll be growing a Mexican x Columbian auto and a Purple Haze auto, in the same soil with Grow Dots again. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Awesome work my friend!!! :star_struck::star_struck: so excited for you!! Thanks for sharing about the buds too… funny I was just messing with mine last night and I was wondering if I should take off every other bud they seem packed in tight in some places but I don’t know what the end result should be lol… I definitely agree with the topping and spreading out… I need to do a better job of this next time myself… they started off well but then I got lazy on the restraints and they did what they wanted lol :joy:. Get ready for that sativa stretch… it’s not a joke lol

4 Likes

I think it goes without saying that I’m NOT re-using the soil I grew these plants in, only that I’m going to use the same brand of soil.

2 Likes

Thanks, @SnkeyezCobra ! Yeah, I hear about the sativa stretch … maybe I’ll end up trying some super cropping, dunno.

Yeah, could be about your packed-in-tight buds, so maybe ask a couple of more experienced growers. I had just that thing, it was worse along the main stem/branch, near where the top of the plant would have been, if it had grown like a Chrismas tree … buddage seems to pack on that area. I had considered culling a couple of buds there in early flower, but I thought that they might be OK, which they were, meaning they didn’t rot. If my air weren’t so dry, then I would have, but going forward, I’ll try to prevent them being so close.

Here is a pic from this morning; they are tight in the center, even though I didn’t think they were THAT tight. But as pictured earlier, their bottoms are pale, as well as smaller than they should have been, plus jammed up against foliage. I’m glad that I didn’t have bigger problems than some pale, skinny bud butts. :rofl:

7 Likes

Chong in particular has always had a problem trying to grow on top of itself… but then when I don’t keep the branches apart she just got extremely bushy… I am constantly trimming stuff but yesterday my hand was actually wet when I stuck it in the middle of the plant… I am afraid to pluck potential bud spots but seems like I should alternate or something…

3 Likes

Wow, she’s gorgeous!

I look forward to seeing what you do and how she grows. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

3 Likes

Chong is a beast

3 Likes

Lmao she’s the smallest one :joy::rofl: last one to flower… the heaviest pot every time… her and Cheech in 7 gal but cheech 2 times her size easily and always weighs less unless both just fed… I’ll try to take one later of the structure that confuses me perhaps lol

2 Likes

Means she will bud up trust the process lol

3 Likes

So they were chopped at 91 days above ground correct? I will be interested in the yield too… You did well :v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks! Today is day 92, yes from sprouting (above ground). I’ll post yields; it should be/looks to be more than my other plants, due to the training, so I’ll see.

6 Likes

Congratulations on a successful grow! :hugs::hugs:

3 Likes

Jedi, today, before finishing bottling, obviously. :slightly_smiling_face::

I’ll post weight tomorrow or so, since I haven’t weighed her yet, but I do know that her yield will more than my other plants. The biggest yield I’ve had prior to this grow was 26 grams, on an untrained plant, plus, I don’t tent and I grow in 2-gallon pots. I don’t grow big plants, LOL, by design. Maybe someday, if/when I wish, but not now.

The LST helped, and I’m happy with having 4-5 “big” buds, vs one with a Christmas tree.

I started trimming Marie, but the rest of her won’t be ready until tomorrow or so. Her yield won’t be as much, since she’s smaller and her buds haven’t been as dense, from the beginning. She had some weird leaf variegation in veg and was a bit runty and slow, but she responded well to the training I gave her … she’s a real trooper in my opinion.

8 Likes

Out of likes but very nicely done! Beautiful buds. :v::100:

3 Likes

:drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::clap::clap::clap::clap::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Really nice you did well… :v: :sunglasses: :clap:

1 Like

I trimmed Marie, pic below. That lil’ squirt, she happily surprised me with all of her buds being more dense than I thought (as dense as Jedi’s), along with having three good-sized nugs. Also, since she was topped and spread out, and not packed in tightly like with what I did to Jedi during her LST training, she didn’t have any pale, airy bottoms on the center buds.

I don’t think that I’ll be able to weigh them this afternoon, so I’m aiming for tomorrow.

8 Likes

Marie surprised you I love it… You did really well… :v: :sunglasses:
I do look forward to your having time to weight. :clap:

2 Likes

Beautiful :drooling_face::drooling_face::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes