Twelve1’s Journal: Autoflowers in Soil with Grow Dots

:+1:

Sorry, ouch. Not knowing Trixie’s strain, along with the other stresses she was recovering from and not yet fully knowing her personal preferences, didn’t help.

Seems like a delicate balance at times, along with light height. I err towards a bit lower light with a lower dimmer setting when in veg … not sure if that’s generally optimal, but so far, so good with mine. Marina so far, and my previous plants, aren’t/weren’t too stretchy, which is my preference. I’ve given her/them more light intensity in the middle of the day, then lower in late afternoon and early morning.

2 Likes

Since all mine are outside I’m sorry I probably cant help. I do know that even with 100+ temps most of mine seem fine as long as they get kept moist. The ones in my green house will get a large fan in the next couple weeks.

I just returned from vacation and my AZ growmie did an excellent job making sure the water ran when it was supposed too. Its amazing how much they grew in 12 days. Only problem I found And I think @Graysin is probably the person around here to ask. My one and only Big Bud had five sets of very compact and dense male flowers. I searched the whole plant and pulled them all off and put the pollen in a ziplock in the fridge. Haven’t found anymoar in the last two days. Question for any of you all, Since my she is obviously a zee/zem/zer, Whats the worst that will happen? Will I get some buds with seed. And if so can I somehow make those seeds feminized. They looked to be a few days old when I found them so I’m hoping all the girls in the green house won’t be de-spoiled.

2 Likes

Depends on why she produced the male parts I think. Stress herms, as far as I understand it, tend to produce feminized seeds. The problem is the seeds will carry the same propensity to herm. So you can evaluate whether it’s worth it for you personally to grow those seeds knowing the risk of another hermaphrodite plant or a tendency to herm under stress. I wouldn’t gift those seeds to someone I liked but might grow them for myself.

As far as the male flowers and whether or not someone nearby got pollinated, the question is did the flowers still look closed, like ball sacks, or were they already opened and looking flower-like?

Low pollen risk:

High pollen risk: (zoom in to the lower left corner of the plant)

6 Likes

Theyll be feminized but possibly carrying that Hermie gene. Not worth the risk. A few pollen sacks can pollinate your entire crop if you’re not careful.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Graysin I seem to remember you knowing a lot about this subject of seeds/genetics. They looked like the top picture, but one of the sets had started to open. I continue to check it close. The plant is so huge I have to crawl under and around to get at every branch.

There are five other giants in the room, and it has lattice on the sides so if any pollen got out, its going to get all my twelve that are within 50 feet of each other. Weird that it was only the big bud and no other strains. Probably heat stress as it got really hot while I was gone.

Being as you said stress herms may produce the same propensity to herm could I grow these seeds indoors in the cool of winter with less likelihood of herms? And what other stress factors other than heat/drought lead to this? Worst case if it becomes all seeded will my seeds be a 50-50 male female? The whole thing with seeds/genetics/breeding is fascinating. Seems like the cutting edge of science to my little pea brain

3 Likes

There sholud be no males female plant pollinating a female produces females

3 Likes

It may not be stress at all - as you said, it was just the one strain. She may have just carried herm traits with her that manifested in her phenotype.

If it was stress induced, the best way to provide a comfortable environment is to go back to the basics. Dial in your DLI to the appropriate ranges throughout the grow, keep the humidity up and the temperatures down. Give her water when she needs it without going too long between or watering too early.

If it was a genetic trait she carried, then by self-pollinating, you’re doubling your odds of having seeds that do the same next grow around. (Something like that - I think it’s actually exponential, but I was not very good with the genetic diagrams in school). The only way to know for sure is to grow it out under optimal conditions and see if it herms again. If not, I’d keep a clone cut and do the same thing again under stressful conditions. You’ll at least have some form of an answer.

@plumbdand is right. Self-pollinating female plants are going to produce female seeds. I won’t say with absolute certainty because I had a plant that produced both male and female parts - not a herm from stress or the like, but a full on part male/part female. Breeder hadn’t ever seen anything like it. I am not sure seeds from that particular oddball would have been feminized. Probably, but maybe not. If it was an XXY plant, it may have produced male seeds too.

FWIW, I just found out I managed to stress herm a Chocolope. Excessive light and excessive temps with woefully insufficient water. No harm no foul, caught them before they opened and she’s hanging to dry now. But it was tried and true genetics - I stress test my plants to the absolute max, so I’ll consider it an outlier.

7 Likes

Good stress/herm discussion.
Sorry about your Big Bud, @VF .
Chocolope looks like a good strain but hard to find in an auto. @Graysin glad that the pollen didn’t spew :hot_face: , and thanks for your answers and time. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m watching now. Thanks for the link!

4 Likes

“Eye of Newt!” :lizard: :rofl:

You are welcome, I’m glad to have your here. :+1:

6 Likes

9 Likes

6 Likes

8 Likes

I’m blind!!! Somebody hep me!

3 Likes

5 Likes

I had laser surgery on my eyes, and that’s pretty much how it went.

3 Likes

That’d be my guess.
:smirk_cat:
:rofl:

1 Like

My coffee just now

5 Likes

Yup. Me too. Cataract surgery a few years back.

2 Likes

@Twelve1 . Eye of the Newt. Now I am going to hear Eye of the Tiger in my brain all day!

2 Likes