Turn back the lights?

I been going by my LEDs manual and recently found out i been giving my autos too much light. I just started using the photone app. Dli is 48-50 - with 22 hours of light, entering flower phase. Plants are fine but im not sure where to go from here.

1 Like

I dont grow autos but can tell you thats way to much DLI

3 Likes

I believe the max for auto’s is like 43 dli

3 Likes

That is really all that matters.
Autos can be run on any light cycle as long as it is enough. Too little or too low intensity will result in “stretching”. Too much can result in a shorter, bushier plant but otherwise it could care less about a cycle. I grow autos and currently I am at 24 hrs on due to colder weather. 2x150w at 100% in a 32x32x62 tent. I have one plant about 4 weeks into flower and 2 that should break ground any day.

2 Likes

im curious on what to do at this point? The plant has just shot out pistols so I know its going to need a light increase in a few days so, should i turn it down immediately, and turn it back up to 45 Dli when buds start to form?

1 Like

Nah, just hang in there the way you are going. Too high of DLI is like excess money in the bank. You don’t have to spend it but it’s nice to have it. Stressing about reaching a perfect light or feed goal will drive you nuts and the plant will suffer with you. All the tech around growing is not totally necessary. I try to keep it simple and grow healthy plants by “reading” or “listening” to what they do and react accordingly.
Here is mine. It’s been under 24 hrs of 300 watts of light for the past month or more. Lights are about 16" from most of the (20+) tops.

8 Likes

That could spark a real debate. Who wrote the manual?
Engineer or salesman?
Learned a few things in 50 years.
The bigger the blob, is not a qualifier for a good soldering event.
and Manuals, got issues enough to drive user’s crazy.
Love my new LUX meter, allows fine tune DLI setting for tent.

4 Likes

If the plants look good(a pic or 2 would help) stay the course. All the numbers like dli, ppfd,vpd,vpm etc… are important but not the end all be all. Do your best to stay close but don’t stress if 1 or more arnt spot on… when you make adjustments make them 1 at a time and watch to see the reaction. No 2 seeds,even if the same breeder/strain are ever the same

2 Likes

@HMGRWN how/when did you do the LST on that plant? Gorgeous!

@THCMaker44 I just had the same q for my 3-week olds (short node spacing from too much light) and decided to raise the light a couple inches but left the power. That lowered the DLI to about 40 at 20/4 cycle. I could have also shortened the light cycle to lower the DLI. I have 25% more power to add as needed and they’ll grow too, so there’s more to go if needed. If you have dual channels, you’ll add the red soon if she’s about to start into flower.

Thanks! :blush:
She is an auto and was mostly left alone except to pull branches down to be relatively even. I had to remove some fans when it had a suspected magnesium def. Then at 6(?) nodes, just before it flowered, I topped it and continued to manipulate the branches to get best light.
Now all tiedowns have been removed and she is in the fattening phase. About 4-6 weeks remaining.

2 Likes

I also just use a Lux meter and it’s just on my phone.

Works good enough and some of this is just experience. I also have 4 individually adjustable LED lights. Can raise and lower each as well as dial up or down the %.

Of course, an 80% of potential yield is good enough for me but may not satisfy some more expert growers on here.

Good luck! Just do it!

3 Likes

I agree with others for the most point. The problem with running too high of dli is using energy that plants won’t process. If you’re not producing jarable weed on a linear scale with your power consumed then you are essentially wasting money on your energy bill.

3 Likes

Figured that with the Lux meter and Kil-a-Watt numbers. The problem with old cheap lights, yes they are too inefficient and cost too much to give away. They are heat producers and, in the winter, this may be a goo thing. Giving away, not a good plan. Cheap lights grow cheap weed, IMO.

1 Like

Yes, or you overspend on the monthly bill trying to make up for it.

1 Like

If it weren’t for the Forum and my HLG350, I would have to seriously consider quit indoor growing for half the year and only for setting summer into swing.

1 Like

350r is definitely a money maker!

1 Like

At 50% on the dimmer, the 50K lux is good for my ladies. The Vipar Spectra at 100% is 565watts and will match the 350R, at the same heights (15 to 20 inches above). They almost fill the tent. Everybody on 12/12 now, thanks to forum lights, and circuit loading. PNW indoor season, two three-month shots, twice a year. One outdoor season, if lucky.

1 Like