Turn back the light after sexing marijuana plant

My greenhouse is relatively small, mostly lit by the sun, but is also supplemented by a 1,000-watt HPS lamp. I’m thinking of growing marijuana plants to about 3 feet in height and then forcing them to flower in the springtime. Is it okay to turn back the light to sex the plants? I’m wary of shifting the plants around from flowering stage to vegetative growth because maybe it will mess them up sexually. Is there a way to sex the marijuana plants without putting everything into flowering?

Sexing entire marijuana plants early can set their growth back by a few weeks and can also mess with their sexual expression. One way of determining sex without these disadvantages is by using a proxy. Take a few cuttings from each of the young plants as soon as they develop side branches. Mark each marijuana clone and the plant you cut it off of, and then prepare the cuttings to be cloned. Place the tray of clones under a light regimen of 16 hours of ceaseless darkness and 8 hours of light every day. The clones will reveal their sex in 7 to 10 days and they will all have the same sex as the plant they came from.

Robert

What I would suggest is take clones off of your plants, root them, and then sex them.
This way your plants can continue to grow without any set backs.
You can do it your way, but you are going to add a few weeks to your growth time.
Side note the added stress can cause some of your girls to hermaphrodite. If that happens you are sure you have all females, then will be scratching your head wondering how you ended up with all this seedy bud.

Hope it helps
Scooter

Need help sexing my plant.

@marymazuca591 Definitely a MALE

2 Likes

Your plan is correct. Take a clone or 2 from each plant and place it in a dedicated 12/12 chamber until it shows sex.

Also; I sent you a PM.

Happy growing, lw

Sorry Mary those are nanners. It’s a boy.