Tuck and weave....scrog

So when can I stop tucking and weaving the branches? I’m switching over to flower now… the bud sites are all on an even plane and 4x4 net is just about as full as it can get. When they stretch at the beginning of flowering, where do I route the new growth if the net is full? Double/triple up on branches per square?

You would normally flip prior to being full and then continue to tuck stretch. I’ve never weaved one because once you do it you’re stuck there, seemed like way less work and equally effective to just continue pushing them back under.

If you can route them around go for it, otherwise I think you’ll be stuck letting them go through screen.

6 Likes

Build another net about 8 inches above to hold up all of the buds after the stretch… you can also tuck and weave through the second net as well , if need be… :wink:
@Juco
:v::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Ok. So if I just let them stretch I can add another screen to support the new growth, right? Would that cause everything at the original net to be shaded so much that it would take away from yield or since there won’t be as many leaves with the new growth will I be ok?

You can add another screen if you need it. Your yield is going to depend on how big the plant is, how you manage it, and how much photosynthetic energy you produce. Anything you do has the potential to make your yield better or worse.

3 Likes

I super crop mine on the top of the net and tie them down. When the screen gets about 60% full, I flip lights and continue tying down until pistils show.

3 Likes

All good suggestions and all will work. Think of the second screen as a support for the stretched tops. Usually the two screens are only 8" apart or so.

I found out the hard way about taking a plant too far in veg: did a Gold Leaf SCROG and the root ball couldn’t support the canopy so it ended poorly: edibles were really all it was good for. Definitely maintain as much airflow as possible too.

2 Likes

Cool, Yeah, I had planned on having more but a couple had problems early on so I used 3gallon pots. Roots are pouring out of the bottom of the pot. And I air pruned them once already. Came back stronger! Hope there’s enough room for the roots

2 Likes

Hey , Read your thread and I noticed that you used 3 gal pots for photo period Fems. I’m not trying to be arrogant but , that’s just too small and will not only affect your yields but overall size of the plant and most likely will lead to complex nute/root issues during flower phase for sure. A lot of novice as well as “ experienced” growers use an undersized pot. The grow container size affects the growth of the plant and if it’s a soil grow , nute isssues are harder to control due to root binding , feeder root die off, quicker metal salt buildup and it’s just not enough room for them. 10 gallon containers are the smallest I use for photos and 5 gal on small speed bud auto’s. I realize grow area is a concern when considering grow containers but a plant that can expand its roots and freely grow will yield more than 3 plants grown in containers that bind the roots. They will also produce larger buds, better taste and, you will have less water and nute issues with a proper grow pot size. Cloth containers are the fashion trend but you can drill small holes in the side of the container for air movement in regards to oxygenation of roots. Green grass & high tides

6 Likes

I’ve been trying to figure this out! Thanks…so put as much of the plant material under net as possible? Like a blanket? Don’t weave?

1 Like

I wouldn’t weave it. For one, it’s more unnecessary work. But bigger point is that its permanent without probably damaging plant. The point of scrog is to get large canopy out of small base, but doesn’t necessarily matter how you get there. If you just continue to keep plant under screen through veg, gives you option to move stuff around should you want to. When you are ready to flower you simply trim away what you don’t want, let recover, then flip and allow to come through screen. Screen will then offer support to developing colas.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I have 5 chronic widow and 5 cali dream in 3 gal pots. all this is in a 4x2 grow room under 3 300 watt cobb led’s. my girls all grown from seed are now in week 3 since planting after initial wet towel germination. Just getting to my 5th set of leaves at an average height of about 4-5 inches.
I have a scrog system in mind. Net is 2 inch x 2 inch twine in a 3/4 inch pvc tube frame. Height of net is about 12" above top of pots. when should i switch to 12/12 cycle? also should i pinch like normal or just let go as is. I know I’m way over crowded, but had these beans for over 1 and half years. Just wanted to use them and not waste them. Please advise. Should I continue scrog or try??? suggestions please. I also have height challenges as tent is only 65’’ tall. thanks to all.

I don’t think a 4x2 is going to work w/ 10 plants unless you flip early. One time I had about 10 plants in a 3.5x3.5 tent because I thought I’d have to cull some males, but they were all females at flip (except 1). I kept them instead of choosing the ones I wanted and before it was all done the tent was just a frame to hang a light because I couldn’t close it or control temps. Luckily I was in a vacant bedroom.

Thanks for input Munchie. So if I flip when girls are still well below my net, say 10’’ tall, should I top before flip or hope for 1 big bud from each plant? thanks again Munchie.

If you keep all of the plants then maybe some LST, but honestly 3 of those plant would give you wall to wall coverage in a 2x4 with topping or fimming