Trying to understand PPM in and out

I did use coco for peppers last winter. Not happy with the results. Probably because I didn’t do it right. The hydro was awesome! But really labour intense because of the three different crops.
I feel somewhere in between is where I need to be? So now I am using super soil cut with promix. Basically the same mixed crop as last winter, so we shall see who likes it and who doesn’t.

3 Likes

For low maintenance; a properly set up hydro grow is probably the easiest. Rez change every two weeks with a disinfect, add nutes, PH and done.

As far as flavor profiles go I also favor hydro (slightly) over other media.

If I’m running media my favorite is Promix HP.

3 Likes

Yeah I could see hydro as being easier if… you are only growing one type if crop or… you have lots of space for reservoirs, neither apply here. Food is super expensive at our store which is a 25 minute drive one way from here. Not only that it tastes crappy! We grew lettuce, two types of tomatoes and peppers and my starts for last years outdoor crop. In a 4x5 foot space! It was cramped for sure but productive once well established. The downside is its built over a tub that’s too big for our hot water tank in our ensuite bathroom so there really isn’t enough room for a large reservoir. I grew lettuce Kratky style and tomatoes in Dutch buckets with bubblers, peppers in coco and 2 in Kratky. The kratky beat the coco. This year I want to grow a compact cannabis plant and have room for veggies too. My veggie requirements are mostly tomatoes and lettuce. The lettuce is a big producer for a small package. Tomatoes are along the back wall, cannabis will be be in the middle. And we shall see how it goes?

3 Likes

I live in SoCal so you could plant popsicle sticks and they’d sprout haha. I do the same thing in that I utilize my starter box for lettuce and bean starts that go out in to the greenhouse to get big.

4 Likes

strangely this is the only pic I could find of last winter’s grow? It’s also the beginning of it, not long after the light was hoisted to the ceiling and that room was eating a 5 gallon pail every 2 days.

3 Likes

I ordered some Tashkurghan and some Balkhi, I may try a Balkhi indoors? Seems the Tashkurghan may be better suited for the greenhouse next spring? @Nicky @BobbyDigital @Missiles @Mote I’m zenning pretty hard for some good Afghani!

4 Likes

2 Likes

Just finished making Kadai chicken with nan bread rice

if that doesnt satisfy the munchies nothing will!

5 Likes

Omg that looks :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Its mouth watering gee! This is a recipe from the source man an Indian chef from a restaurant in the local area. Hes from the Nepalese highlands.

2 Likes

Hence my desire to grow some oldschool Indian mountain weed! I just love the taste of indian hash plant. Its getting so hybridized that the original afghan hash taste is getting washed out. Every now and then you get some good hash tasting dope but its rarer than gold these days.

4 Likes

There are a couple others that say that also. Honestly I’ve only had hash a couple times in my life

1 Like

We were getting Lebanese kief that smelled like black pepper when you smoked it (not bad!) that was called hash and we also got some Black Afghani laced with opium once. THAT was some gucci $hi!

3 Likes

Hash used to be pretty normal, the good stuff was black Afghani, then Moroccan if you it was around, and the lower grade stuff, though not always was Lebanese. I say that because while the blonde leb seemed kinda neutered most of the time every now and then some red leb came along that was pretty decent. The really good black like black tar hash was the bomb! Some guys I knew around here 20 years ago were growing pine tree hash plant that was super good- then poof! It was gone?

2 Likes

When I was younger that’s the kind I had was the black tar stuff. I remember thinking it looked like a big resin ball but it wasn’t as sticky LOL it definitely knocked on your butt

2 Likes

Yup! It did! Weirdly some of the Afghani weed and hindu Kush strains deliver that taste and stone. I personally think if you plan to grow these older strains you need to seed them up! Get a bountiful harvest of heavily seeded bud, males and females of the same stock! After that you can do as you like. But dont lose the original genetics. Well that’s my plan anyways…

2 Likes

From what I’m hearing you need to hold on to the genetics you like before they start messing with seeds more than they have.

2 Likes

Yep! As has been stated many times, the cradle is where life all begins. The concept of landrace is not unlike and similar to heritage vegetables. These are the building blocks of hybrids. One can argue that a pure strain cant and shouldn’t remain that way because of biodiversity, however, traditionally cross breeding to revive strain vigour was done with similar strains from communities relatively nearby. In addition, the farmers selected the best examples instinctively knowing that it mattered. Now we have people from modern civilization bringing drug hybrids into remote cradle locations and these are polluting heritage cultivars. Not unlike hemp fields will do to cannabis crops in North America

2 Likes

Well when you find it let me know all I know of that is my 76 your old dad would probably be in heaven if he could get some of that stuff and ide be happy to grow it and if I can’t I know just the guy who can.

All I know is I’ve seen a strain called hash plant and of course Hindu kush is a common strain seems good. It I think the northern lights I had was better

3 Likes

Well I’d be happy to hook you up with seed if I get a nice male and female! It’s always a crap shoot!

1 Like