Trying My Hand At Indoor Growing - Lots of trial and errors to report

Many use apera because they are a bit cheaper, if you want to step up another level Blue Lab are quite nice, I use the pen. You can go to their site and see what they have. Tge price goes up much beyond the pen, but the pen does work great, no complaints.

That frame is a little longer than that.
First you’ll see preflowers, then a couple weeks more you’ll see pistils.
It’s very much the same as photoperiod, with the only difference is that it will flower when the plant is ready, even if you aren’t.

3 Likes

Thanks man. :+1:t2: That’s why I called on the brains. Wasn’t sure.

Anybody grown in a mix with peat moss? I’m having difficulty finding coco coir. I ordered my bricks but they are currently back ordered from the place I get them. :grimacing:

1 Like

Specifically, if I do a mix of plain dirt, perlite and peat moss I know the ph is going to be too low. Can I use my 8 ph tap water to even it out and not have to ph balance my water every time?

I would try to use just soil. The peat tends to be too acidic, and may cause issues. You can plant in soil. I would do a slurry rest to see what the ph is at, and ph up or down from there, and add lime to buffer ph.

I use peat moss as a growing medium. This is the kind I get from HD.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Mix-Natural-Organic-3-8/dp/B00AU0QDRY
I like it. “Packed with Canadian sphagnum peat moss, coarse perlite, organic starter nutrient charge, gypsum and dolomitic limestone, Sunshine Mix #4 Natural & Organic is recommended wherever high air capacity and fast drainage are a must.“

And I don’t own a ph meter. But if I had one, I’d use it. Especially if I knew my ph was already high. I need to get one. And a ppm meter too.

Look for Promix HP

2 Likes

Cool. I’ll look it up also!

Any thoughts on my girls? Seem happy but looks like my big girl Sheila has some slight curling up on her leaves? Is that heat stress? And my littler ones seem to have some white tips here and there.

4 Likes

@violagirl0 Welcome to the forum! Great start in my opinion. Im a new grower myself I just planted my first photo plant on March 25th and just started a journal and im loving every bit of the learning experience. Im currently using Promix Hp as my media so i’ll offer any help with things that I might be able to offer. Everyone here is so helpful so you’re in great hands.

Sheila looks great in my opinion. I see there might be a pest problem based on the lower leaf there and the other other bad girls look great too. Leaves curling could be due to overwatering or the environment being too hot/cold. White/yellowish tips are common, it could be a combination of small things.

Whats your temp and humidity looking like? Are you feeding your plants any nutrients?

I recommend also looking at other journals as people always give their feedback, tips and advice on similar and common issues.

Happy growing!

1 Like

Thank you so much!! Temp stays about 75-79 degrees F, humidity is about 45-53. It was about 80 before i got a dehumidifier in the space but i made sure we were in a good range well before the girls were introduced. Sheila is my beast. I’m thinking about bending her a bit tomorrow to get some more light on the lower leaves. i hate to even touch her though…she’s my Eve and just perfect in every way in my opinion. She might be my first girl crush lol. First time grow and I’m learning so much myself. I have read about a bajillion of the grow journals on here in the last couple of weeks.

1 Like

Ah shite…I’ve got a nitrogen deficiency. What do I do? I’m using GH nutes…how much do I add to this girl??? I also saw urine is a good source of nitro…I’m not above peeing on her! :joy::joy::joy: (but seriously I would if you tell me!!).
@Myfriendis410 @OlyBoy98503 @Covertgrower

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Helped me out a lot with that in my journal with details about the amounts have you checked it out? We also use GH nutes and follow a DTW schedule so based on the week youre in thats the ratio that you would use and hit the ppm target in that schedule. Here’s my journal if you want to take a look at it: Journal 1: First Grow Ever - #161 by Not2SureYet

Week three you use a ratio of 2:2:1 to hit a target between 600-900 ppm. Heres the chart: https://gh.growgh.com/docs/Feedcharts/GH_FloraSeries-DTW_03216am.pdf

Now they always say to start at 1/2 strength or even 1/4 strength and work your way up to full strength.

Hope this helps until other people can also provide some more info for you in case I missed anything

2 Likes

I do not recommend self-fertilizing your baby! Lol!

I would use a diluted 1-0-0 lawn fertilizer added to my regular nute program. But that’s just me and my eyeball figuring out how green I like it until I quit adding more nitrogen.

It’s not scientific, but that’s what I did when they were little.

Now that they are bigger, I use about 6 ounces of pond muck mixed with a half gallon of water to give the plant an energy drink. It’s like Red Bull for plants. Or it might be like cocaine. I don’t know. They seem to really like it.

But I would never give them pond muck while in flower.

I like @ashhhh ‘s answer. It sounds very scientific and deliberate.

@Zee What would you do?

1 Like

Do you have a nutrient line that you intend to use?

2 Likes

Make sure your PH is in line, are you running cal mag? It almost looks like beginning of a calcium def to me. Just a hint of interveinal chlorosis.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 ph has been good. It’s been getting the same nutrients as the other plants. I use calimag every other watering.

1 Like

I’ve been using general hyroponics and one of their schedules. Plus calimagic

3 Likes

Well guys… @OlyBoy98503 @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @HappyHydroGrower @ashhhh and anyone else following. My heart stopped this morning when I checked on my girls. It’s hard to even put into words but something ate my biggest girl Sheila and 1 1/2 other plants. I’m heartbroken.