True, False, or Maybe

I am not looking to grow quantity, but quality. I want to grow plants with lots of color, bold smells and flavors. I’m looking for strains that no one else In my area have.
Organic only. Autoflowers

True, false or maybe that adding ice water, brings out the colors in some strains.

Who are the go to for guys for this type of seed?

2 Likes

I have some White Widow outside and they are beginning to show purple. My profile pic is of a WW from last year. None of my indoor grows of WW show color.

True. Colder weather can bring out colors.

Maybe cold water can shock the plant into showing colors, but causing stress in a plant could also cause hermies. Seems like a gamble just to have some vibrant colors. Maybe during the last weeks of flower?

I really like the WW strain. Harvested at about 8 weeks it is a good relaxing buzz. Wait a few weeks and it works real good for pain relief and sleep.

7 Likes

I’ve read where people will cover the soil with ice cubes in final couple of weeks to bring out colors, but I would worry about doing it before just because of shocking the plant or potential root issues.

3 Likes

That WW looks really nice. I hope to get colors like that and more.
My grow space is my martial arts work out area. Right now I have 1 purple haze auto going along with tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, and some herbs. I have a banana blast and a do-si-do’s to go in next. Both autoflower.

I know that cold temperatures can bring out color in some plants and I saw or read something about a guy who watered with ice water for colors but now I can’t find it.

1 Like

I haven’t done it but other growers have pushed the PH of their water up way high to bring out the anthrocyanins. Cold temps will do it as well.

Personally; if I were wanting quality and terpenes I’d be looking for regular seeds vs autoflowers.

9 Likes

I recomend a strain called dirty lil secret (cross of purple mayhem & Dark Desire) from NorstarGenetics “dot” com. Dank and delicious :yum: only been able to find this strain at dispo twice in the last 4 years. No one on your block will have this strain and it is a deep deep purple hue and very aeromatic. Ice shocking works great but it is considered High Stress. You can get the same effect by lowering your night time temps to 12 or 14 degrees cooler then daytime temps as well as by giving only pure water the last 2 weeks of life before harvest.
People will say that auto’s are not as good as photos, and I imagine from certain perspectives they would be correct. I disagree on the premise though. I think auto’s fill a need. Some don’t have the space some have time constraints from work or life, some only have a need for a few ounces at a time while others enjoy pound after pound of the same strain. I think it comes down to the individual. I dont have a tester but I have not noticed a lack of potency or flavor/color from auto’s vs photos. Size, stamina and sensitivity to nutes is different from auto’s to photos, I think that messes with some growers. Personally I see auto’s like an AP course in Highschool. Fast paced, steep learning curve, extremely unforgiving, ultimately completing the course puts you ahead of the class

4 Likes

I also have some WW Auto. One of them is flowering and all of the buds are a dark purple, the leaves (sugar) around the buds are also purple. I was wondering what happened. This is my first year, so I am new. I am in the middle of harvesting WW Photo’s, none of them were purple. I also looked at the pictures of ILGM seeds for sale and the picture of WW Auto sure was not purple. Did I do something wrong ?? Or did a wrong seed get mixed in with the batch ?? Thanks.

1 Like

Phenotypes have a wide range. I grew a purple bruce banner was super good!

2 Likes

I think it’s just the cold. I should have made that clearer. Cooler weather is what brought out the color on my outdoor grows.

It’s something that happens with cannabis. Not all strains maybe, but I believe it’s real common.

1 Like

My mystery seed outdoor grow was really light green until the end of September then as it started to get cooler at night it darkened up.

@Docnraq did a quick Google and it does not look like they have updated the website since 2020. I shot off an email to see if they are still up and running.

1 Like

Yeah I see that but you’ll notice the menu date.

1 Like

If you want color get fast buds blackberry or purple lemonade GORGEOUS natural purple , thick buds , and STRONG grape juice with a hint of lemons

3 Likes

My two cents are Yes…Th colder climates …and yes…the strain can and for me in my climate ,yes…when I have colder night temps ,Ive seen some buds get “color” mainly purple. and yea @Docnraq Yeah man …Thats what one pf my Bruces did too…Very very purple!! and the other not so …more green? Weird huh? Its the Phenomes and all

3 Likes

The ilgm mix seed sections has some interesting mixes

Here is one specifically.

1 Like

Yes when u flush ur plants at the end of flowering flush them with ice cold water for two weeks and they will change colour they should go a purple

2 Likes

my outdoor blue dream auto is starting to get some blue leaves and i attribute that to the colder temps at night.

2 Likes