Trimming- wet or dry

Newbie here, first grow. I’m approaching harvest and I’d like to know which is the best way to get the trimming done in my lifetime. My colas are fat and filled with leaf material . Not the tightest bus, but ok for my first grow. Strain is gorilla glue autoflower. My light for the grow was a 600w led.
New light,
Optic LED Optic 6 Gen3 COB Grow Light 605W UV/IR - has HID Equivalent of 1000w hps. Hoping for a little better buds for the next grow.
Thanks

2 Likes

They make hand crank trimmers. I personally use scissors when it’s dry and use the tips to peel, if you will, the leaves away from the bud and snip them off. I haven’t used a hand crank one and I’ve heard mixed reviews. I’m going to try one just for hand cramps. It took me a day and a half to do 7oz by hand.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. Well, I will get a reprieve from the chore for a week or so while they dry.

Thanks again

1 Like

I would only use an auto-trimmer if you can process the trim.
And only dry trim if you use an auto-trimmer.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just trying to save me some time.

Kevin

1 Like

I ALWAYS trim dry. Last harvest I had over 3.5lbs, so I bought a hand crank bowl trimmer. What would have taken me days, only took minutes. I wouldn’t be without one now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. Just watched a few videos. Looks like a viable option for me. No 3.5 lbs in my tent, I’d be happy with a fraction of that. Colas are approximately a foot long, just a shiteload of leaves.

4 Likes

Old school is to start leaf removal a week or so before harvest and trim again after the chop. It also depends on what you are looking for out of your flower. I leave a little sugar on mine but others hate the chlorophyll.

4 Likes

Thanks. It looks like a daunting task ahead of me.

1 Like

I also first time btw dry trimmed. Easier to cut throw also.

I feel like dry trimming is a major pita. I will only do it if I’m trying to dry in very low humidity, to slow drying process. Otherwise I trim wet right when I chop, then maybe do a final manicure before I put into jars.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of dry trimming, Dont like what It does to the bud! More chance of mold, and I think Jmo… it makes for a harsh smoke and Wet trimming also gives you better starting material for making hash and or edibles

2 Likes

I’ve always been a wet trimmer. Although my past 2 harvests seem to be missing that delicious scent. I’m debating a dry trim for my next harvest, just to see if it slows down the initial dry a bit.

I bought an ipower bowl trimmer about 4 months ago. It does a decent job of trimming, but when I hand trim, all the fan leaves get snipped close to the stem. The trimmer shears them off at the outer edge of the bud. Leaving the stems jutting out. It also doesn’t trim the sugar leaves close enough.
Ultimately It doesn’t do a good enough job for me to use it on the main colas/buds. However, I do use it on the Larfy/popcorn. It saves me hours there. I don’t mind the sloppy trim on those buds since I grind them for joints.

2 Likes

I’m a wet trimmer too. I like that bag appearance and the fact that I can get ALL of the sugar leaves. But I save mine for bubble hash and pressing.

3 Likes

Sounds like good advice. Do you hang your chopped branches before your trimming? I’m new to this game and did my first grow without any knowledge of the forum. It wasn’t pretty, but I had 4 plants reach the finish line, gorilla glue auto.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Seems to be the prevailing thought . I better get going, looks like a full days work.

1 Like

In my book, that would be considered dry trimming. The only time I will do that is if I’m trying to dry weed when rh is really low, like in the dead of winter where I live. Otherwise I will do just about all of my trimming before hanging to dry.

My typical routine is cut entire branch off at base with pruning shears. Then strip all of remaining fan leaves into prepared trash bag. After that I will place stem into a trim bin and repeat process until I have a handful of colas. At that point I will trim off all the sugar leaves and any larf off the colas, then hang them.

It’s pretty much repeating that process until I’m finished. In my opinion, if you’re hand trimming this is the way to go. The leaves cut easily and neatly when wet. As your buds dry they kinda shrink and the spots where there was sugar leaves get sucked into buds. Then when I feel they’re dry enough to go to jars, I clean up any spots I missed as I’m removing buds from stem.

7 Likes

Thanks dbrn32 , great explanation. I better get going then. I’ve got 3 all ready at the same time.
Gorilla glue autoflowers.

4 Likes

The sugar leaves shrinking in makes sense I did dry trim my first time might try wet next.

@dbrn32 I will be putting mine into 48hr dark and ice bath tomorrow and then I’m torn between wet and dry. I live in same area you do growing and drying in humidity controlled room. I have humidity around 42rh and temp is 72.
Throw me sc one advice please I dont want to mess things up now. Thanks D

1 Like